MBP Should I upgrade to the 256GB SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jetsettingirl, Jul 27, 2011.

1. jetsettingirl macrumors newbie

I am thinking about purchasing a 13 in. Macbook Pro. Are there significant advantages to upgrading to the 256 GB Solid Stare Drive? Is it faster or just more stable? Is it worth the $600?

2. Liquinn Suspended

I say go for it if you have the money, it'll help the resale value of the machine I'd imagine and a SSD is faster than a HDD.

All the best

Cheers :)

3. JimmyDreams macrumors 6502

Is there room for only 1 HD in a 17" MBP? I have a mid 2010 17" and am thinking about adding a SSD, but I don't know if there's only room for one drive (the 500MB HD already in there) or what??

Do I have to SWAP or is there room to add a SSD?

Thanks!

4. apeden macrumors member

Getting a SSD is a great idea. It will make your computer boot up twice as fast, and it will run many times faster then your current hard drive. If you want to get a SSD, then go to OWC. Here is a link (its cheaper then your $600) http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/

5. madonionrings macrumors member

Why not the OCZ Vertex 3, OCZ Agility 3, or Intel 510?

6. Kafka macrumors 6502

I've been thinking a lot about getting a 256gb SSD for my 13"MBP but what I read in all those threads titled like "which trouble free third party SSD for my MBP" makes me think twice...
    There doesn't seem to be a consensus.

7. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

If you order the SSD from Apple, you don't get the 500GB HDD. There is normally only space for one storage drive in the computer. If you really want to, you can buy a conversion kit to swap out your Superdrive for a second drive bay, however this is not an Apple approved conversion.

There are lots of modern, fast SSDs. Most of them would likely work perfectly in your computer. I'm sure that any of the Intel drives, the Crucial m4 (Firmware 2), any OWC drive, or a Vertex 3 would be fine. It's just a case of cost/size/speed ratios.

8. Resist macrumors 68030

At this point, no it's not worth $600. That's insanely expensive for only 256GB of storage, even with the speed boost, which really is only a minor speed increase. I'd wait until the prices come down more.

9. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

For $600, you can get a much, much faster 256GB SSD than the Apple supplied one. And still keep the hard disk the computer comes with. Just requires a little wrench-work.

So, no the Apple 256GB SSD upgrade is not worth it.