MBP Shows "Not charging" briefly

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AceC, Nov 19, 2014.

1. AceC macrumors member

When I hook my charger up, "Not Charging" shows up briefly where the percent bar is. It still charges, but doesn't automatically show that's it charging like it used to.

Why is this? Is it normal?

2. asriznet macrumors regular

Perform an SMC reset first to see if that fixes it.

You can install Coconut Battery to check the status of your battery and if it needs replacement.

Apple says that if your cycle count reaches 1000, it's "consumed" and you need to replace the batteries at your own cost.

Other fault possibly is a loose magsafe connection or you have a faulty power adaptor.

3. bushido Suspended

bushido

The battery was lose on mine so the genius at the store had to put new paste on it

4. Lucas Godfrey macrumors 6502

Lucas Godfrey

he, what? put paste on your battery?

5. bushido Suspended

bushido

Glue I should say. I went to the Apple store for an actual display issue a few weeks ago but while I was there I mentioned how sometimes my mac says "not charging" or the green or orange light wouldn't turn on unless I reattached the charging cable. He opened up the macbook to have a look and while he was doing his thing the actual battery fell out of the casing. They had to replace the whole battery and the housing. He said the glue on the battery has gotten loose

6. Lucas Godfrey macrumors 6502

Lucas Godfrey

is this a retina macbook pro?

7. bushido Suspended

bushido

yep and i actually didnt think much of it because my old macbook pro did the same thing after 2 years or so (led not working on the charging cable) i just assumed the cable wasnt working properly anymore but the Genius was like "no thats in no way normal so he opened it up and the battery fell out"

8. Lucas Godfrey macrumors 6502

Lucas Godfrey

yeah those batteries are supposed to be glued in good. thats why he shouldn't have just pasted it back in.
    My understanding is reading your posts though is that he ending up replacing your Topcase as well. which is the correct solution, regarding your current issue with the charger being a bit funky i would say this
    1. clean the connector with some alcohol on a q-tip, charger tip and port on the laptop, make sure the pins are still springy and not stuck up.
    2. perform a full SMC reset
    3. test again.

Let us know how this works out.

Regards