MBP shut down twice without warning..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by krishmk, Nov 18, 2015.

1. krishmk macrumors regular

My new 15inch shut down twice this morning and I just got it 3 days ago. The batter is fully charged and not sure what is happening, no warning nothing.

Is there some event that registers for me to look at to find out what caused this?

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

3. krishmk thread starter macrumors regular

I will but was wondering what might have caused it. I was running a server for my programming along with DB and this caused a high memory usage, around 12GB's.

ETA: This is 2015 refurb and when I return it, I will have to wait for a replacement.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

It could well just be a software conflict have you made sure all your apps are updated to the latest version and that they have el capitan compatability??sometimes a reinstall of your OS will clear these things up but there is very little info here to go on if it doesn't give you a kernel panic log when you reboot.

12GB's is fine that 16GB will run at up 24GB usage with memory compression before the memory is under real pressure.

5. 3568358 macrumors 6502

You can try these three things.

1) Open the Console app and see if you can find any weird discrepancies that may have caused this. (If you're not very savvy and just want to fix this proceed to number 2 and 3)

2) Open Disk Utility, select your hard drive, select "Repair Disk Permissions"
    wait for that to finish. It will tell you when it is complete.
    If that does not work then do this:

3) Shut down your computer. Then, press the power button to turn it back on.
    Press and hold the D key before the gray startup screen appears.
    It takes a minute or so for Apple Hardware Test to start up and inspect your hardware configuration. While this is taking place, an icon appears on the screen:

When the process is complete, select your language and click the right arrow. If you aren't using a mouse, you can use the up and down arrows to select a language and then press the Return key.
    The AHT console appears. You can choose which sort of test or tests to perform:
    To perform all of the basic tests, click the Test button or press the "T" key or the Return key.
    To perform a more thorough diagnostic test, select the "Perform extended testing" checkbox under the Test button before you click the Test button.
    Note: Your test results will appear in the window in the bottom-right of the console.
    To exit AHT, click Restart or Shut Down at the bottom of the window.
    (More info on this at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201257)

The above step will tell you if there is any issues with any hardware inside the computer.
    If so, bring computer to apple store to get it fixed.

Remember, when in doubt- restore! Works for almost everything!

6. krishmk thread starter macrumors regular

I will try the steps outlined by IA724 later today. Also, the laptop is updated to latest El Cap beta.