MBP shut off, now charger won't work

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jamesu, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Jamesu macrumors newbie

Hello MacRumors

I am a long time reader of the forums and have a problem hopefully you can help me with.

I have a late 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro, basic config with ram and SSD upgrade by myself. I am fairly computer savvy but this is my first mac so I don't have massive amounts of experience when they won't work.

I was use my Mac for my work and was working on it earlier today when it shut off for no reason and now the charger won't work. It was running fairly hard with quite a few apps open and the CPU at around 75-80% with the fans staying on to keep it cool. There was no warning it just shut off and the charger light didn't come on.

I left it a bit then powered it up and it was all working but the charger wasn't lighting up or charging the battery. I googled this and tried an SMC reset but no difference and then tried a friends MacBook charger and it lit up and started charging so my charger must be dead now. I'm fairly certain it wasn't a power surge as it was plugged in via a surge protector. All my data is backed up and the nearest Apple store is quite a drive away.

The main worry is that my Mac might be damaged or that it might take out another charger, ordered one earlier. Has this happened to anyone on here?
    Should I be worried about my mac?

Thanks
    James

TL DR
    Mac randomly shut off and now charger doesn't charge. Should I be worried about my Mac breaking chargers or just a bad charger?

2. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

take it to the apple store both the laptop and the charger they will diagnose it and if you still have apple care will provide you a new charger, apart from that they will do some diagnostics on your laptop which they do on all laptops that come for servicing, if any issue then they will replace the part.

3. Dwinguel macrumors member

Dwinguel

I agree, I would recommend going to the Apple Store first to be on the safe side.