MBP Shuts Down Immediately After Disconnecting from MagSafe Power

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Greg_C, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Greg_C macrumors member

My MacBook Pro has developed a strange problem recently that has me somewhat concerned and annoyed, as I would like to use my laptop without it having to plugged in all the time. A vast majority of the time it's on a stand with an external keyboard and mouse, running off MagSafe power. However, whenever I disconnect it the system immediately shuts down completely. :confused: The battery indicator lights show that the battery is fully charged, but it won't turn on until it's plugged in again. When I press the power button I can hear the HDD spin up briefly, but it winds down again and nothing happens. I haven't calibrated the battery recently, but I don't think that could be a cause, and calibrating it now is out of the question since the system won't even boot off of battery power. Any tips/ideas? Thanks!

2. Pixellated macrumors 65816

Have you ever cycled you battery, if not, it is dead. Take it to the Store.

3. Markov macrumors 6502

Markov

You're probably going to need a new battery... Check if there was a recall at all for it first; I'm not sure if the MBP's ever had a battery recall, but it would be nice for you to know if you're entitled to a free new one. Another idea, take the battery out and try to let it sit around and see if you can drain the power out of it without having to actually use it. This method will take a very long time and may not ever lose all power, but I guess anything is worth a shot at this point.

Good luck!

4. boardopboy macrumors member

Yer not alone, brother.

Seems this is happening a a lot since either the recent security update, OR the 10.5.5 update.

Happens to me on my 17 inch Core Duo MBP. And it didn't start happening until Tuesday morning... just a few short hours after updating to 10.5.5.

For me, it's at around 15% battery remaining... but the rest of your symptoms are my symptoms.

There are several threads on the matter going at the Apple Support Forums, but here is the one I started! ;)

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1714170

Seems this needs to be worked out via software!

5. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

6. Greg_C thread starter macrumors member

Thanks to everyone for all the replies, I didn't realize that this was becoming somewhat of a widespread issue. Several others on the Apple Support forums seem to be having very similar problems. I've attached screenshots from System Profiler and CoconutBattery showing that the battery isn't in great health but it does have some juice left in it...It seems like it should still be able to power the computer. The problem began before the 10.5.5 update so I don't think that's the issue. I'm going to take the MBP into the my local Apple store tomorrow...I don't have AppleCare (purchased the computer in November '06) but I'm hoping the battery might qualify as defective. Worst case scenario I end up buying a new one...I'm just glad it sounds like the problem is isolated to the battery.

Attached Files:

7. tetra241 macrumors newbie

I had the same issue a month after I bought my 17in MBP. I took it into the apple store and they just exchanged the battery. Problem solved never happened again.

8. Greg_C thread starter macrumors member

One trip to the Apple Store and $140 later, I have a brand new battery and everything is working fine again. I wasn't able to get a free replacement based on the recall, as apparently is was only for Core Duo (not Core2 Duo) machines. I'm definitely going to be much more attentive to taking care of the battery this time around.

9. Modjo macrumors member

Same thing is happening to me. I've been on the phone with Apple this morning and they will not replace it. I can't work on battery power for more than 5 minutes or so after a full charge. I haven't really cycled the battery all that much (103 in 1,5 years), but i calibrated it every single month.

It will shut down without warning but i'm able to reboot it for a few seconds and i can see it still holds a charge of about 40%. I'd like to calibrate it, but i can't drain it.

Any other options to try before spending 150$ on a battery?

10. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

I had a similar problem. My Macbook (first gen bought just after launch) would no longer work without being plugged in. Unplugging it with the battery was the same as unplugging without the battery. Also the battery would not charge and showed up with an X on the menu bar.

I called up apple and talked with them and they politely told me that batteries always go bad and there's nothing they can do, especially since it was out of warranty. I argued that while the battery life should be diminished, the battery should still have some charge (5 mins worth?), but not totally dead. 5 minutes, and a chat with a supervisor, later I had a new battery on the way :D

11. rsd macrumors member

rsd

Hi y'all

I am so glad i am not the only one!

This problem has been driving me crazy! System Profiler, says the health of my battery is good, it seems to have full(ish) charge 96% and just over 100 cycles. i really didnt get it, i had not even done the update, did the update hoping it would fix it and nothing.

Very strange indeed. When disconected from the mains, my MBP will stay booted as long as it is in sleep, but as soon as you open it, it will shut down straight away!

I really dont want to have to buy a new battery :( but i see no other options.

rSd x

12. boardopboy macrumors member

So an Apple rep actually contacted me about the issues I have been having... Identical to most of those listed here, and together, we are figuring something out.

They sent me a program to collect all my logs and what not, and I have sent the resulting file back to them.

Currently, their engineers "are looking into it".

The apple Tech guy said he would keep me informed of everything along the way, and to this point, I have to say, he has.

For reference, here is my thred on the matter at Apple's forums:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1714170

And the thread I started here at MacRumors:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=6286606#post6286606

And glancing thorough both forums, I see this is popping up a lot more for a lot more people!

13. goodwolve macrumors newbie

I have a similar problem. When I work on my Macbook Pro in battery mode it just shuts off. I can work for approximately 5 minutes on what looks like a full battery - then it turns off completely. No warning.

System Profiler:
    Battery Information:

Model Information:
    Serial Number: Sony-ASMB012-3686-2938
    Manufacturer: Sony
    Device name: ASMB012
    Pack Lot Code: 0003
    PCB Lot Code: 0000
    Firmware Version: 102a
    Hardware Revision: 0400
    Cell Revision: 0303
    Charge Information:
    Charge remaining (mAh): 3102
    Fully charged: No
    Charging: Yes
    Full charge capacity (mAh): 3281
    Health Information:
    Cycle count: 23
    Condition: Check battery
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): 645
    Voltage (mV): 12584

What do I do?

MacBook Pro Mac OS X (10.5.5)

14. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Call apple :)

15. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

take it in if possible. calling will probably get you no where considering the age of your mbp.