Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alex00100

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2011
Moscow, Russia
happened over 5 times last week. when MBP 17"'s battery uncharges, MBP goes to sleep, and after i plug the sleeping MBP in and press the power button it just boots up like i shut it down. happened over 20 minutes ago and i lost over 3 hours of unsaved work!!!11 **** it!
so, what can i do?

Blondie :)

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Prescott, AZ
happened over 5 times last week. when MBP 17"'s battery uncharges, MBP goes to sleep, and after i plug the sleeping MBP in and press the power button it just boots up like i shut it down. happened over 20 minutes ago and i lost over 3 hours of unsaved work!!!11 **** it!
so, what can i do?

Honestly, not much. Once your computer shuts down and you lose all unsaved work, it's gone. If your computer puts itself to sleep, it goes into hibernation mode in order to save the last few remnants of battery life left. It you leave it alone for five hours or more, it will completely and utterly die, and you lose all your unsaved work.

So, the only thing that I can recommend you do is save all your work before your computer puts itself to sleep.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
That shouldn't happen. Here's what should happen:

- Battery gets very low
- Display turns off and sleep light comes on
- Contents of RAM saved to disk
- Computer turns off completely

When you turn it back on, it should load the saved state back up, so you shouldn't have lost any work.

Have you previously done something to disable the "safe sleep" functionality? I've seen a few people do that to make it go to sleep faster, and that could potentially cause this issue.

Edit: If you type "pmset -g | grep hibernatemode" into Terminal, it should return "3".

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
First, I'd suggest that you change the battery icon to show either percentage or time left. That way you know how much juice you have left until the MBP shuts down.

You should be getting a warning that the battery is running low and to save your work. Are you?

Also, have you beend doing regular battery calibrations?

alex00100

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2011
Moscow, Russia
year i get the warning but sometimes i just thin "just finish this i will go get the magsafe(or whatever it is called)" but i just forget it hah. anyway it still have to work and get to sleep if such thing happens.
i didnt disable safe sleep either.
is there anything else to do but resetting the smc? anyway ill do it tomorrow. its late here in russia already. just getting sure ill get some good answers at night.

alex00100

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2011
Moscow, Russia
hey, its not about battery its about sleeping. just tried the regular sleeping and it doesnt work. the screen turns off for a few seconds and it turns on again. i didnt know that cause was using windows with bootcamp last few evenings so was just turning it off for night.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.