MBP shuts down when there is still plenty of battery left

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Alliekat9, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Alliekat9 macrumors newbie

My Macbook Pro keeps shutting down before I reach zero percent battery and often when the battery still has 25% left. I am wondering if this is a software issue that may be fixed or if there is something incompatible with my hardware. I am running 10.6.4 with a 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM memory bought in April of 2007. My mac was originally running Tiger, but a few months ago I updated to Snow Leopard. Could this be causing my problem? Please help, it will be very much appreciated! :confused:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's likely that you need to calibrate your battery, to make your reading more accurate. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

3. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

I had the exact same issue with the same generation MBP when i had it.... unfortunately its not a software issue, its the battery.

I think this was common with these batteries, not enough to cause mass panic or outrage but enough that when i took mine in to be assessed/repaired they had seen it before.

Basically one of the cells in your battery is faulty and therefor shows as charged but doesn't actually hold a charge, once it hits that cell when using the battery it goes dramatically from a high percentage to a low/zero percent.

I personally had 2 cells at fault and would drop from 40% charge to zero.

Before i am asked as well, I tried calibrating the batter numerous times before eventually taking it to apple, and this did not show up straight away it happened almost a year after i had the MBP.

I would suggest taking it into a genius or calling applecare.

4. harry20larry macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

I had the same problem, got to around 45% and the computer went dead. Clicked the battery icon in the menu bar and it said 'service battery'.
    Luckily I was still under extended warranty so they bought me a £100 new battery for free!

5. Alliekat9 thread starter macrumors newbie

Looks like mine is the same, though unfortunately I think mine is just passed the warranty since I had it replaced around a year ago :mad:

6. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207