MBP shuts off when power chord is pulled out

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KubusBala, Jun 6, 2008.

1. KubusBala macrumors newbie

My MacBook Pro will be 100% fully charged but when the charge/power chord is pulled out, the computer shuts off. It then won't turn on unless the chord is plugged into the computer.

Is this a battery issue? I've had the computer for almost two years now.

Anyone know what I can do about this?

:confused:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It sounds like it is a battery issue, and that the 100% charged is being erroneously reported. If it won't power on with just the battery, you may have a defective battery. Do you know someone who has a MBP that you could borrow their battery long enough to test it? If it powers up with another battery, you have your answer. Your local Apple store may be able to help you with that.

3. winslayer macrumors newbie

I just went through this same exact issue this past May. I could unplug my MBP and it would be 100% charged, and within a minute it would totally turn off. No warning about a low battery or anything. So I intended to call Apple and get it fixed, but I was dealing with school/work and couldn't afford to be without my computer, so I just dealt with it being a "desktop" instead of a mobile computer. I did this for about a week and one day I started noticing the mouse button was not pushing down anymore. I could still "click", but it wouldn't go down, it was like clicking an icon on the iPhone.

The next day while at work I noticed my computer was starting to sit really lopsided on the desk. I flipped my computer over to see what was going on on the underside and the battery had swollen significantly. I immediately took the battery out and called AppleCare. They sent me a box to send my mac, battery, and power cord back to them in.

A week later my MBP is back with me with a new battery and a new power cord. I am not certain if the problem was with the batter or the adapter, but I recommend not messing around with it because seeing the battery swollen like that actually scared me. Call Apple (or take it to a Apple Store) as soon as you can.

4. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Turn your MBP off, when you press the power button to turn it back on, hold it down until the fans rev up, you hear a long frightening "boop," and the sleep light flashes rapidly. You just reset the PMU, which might fix your problem, if not, call Apple. However, for 2 years old, it might be a problem with the battery, as there were known swelling issues with the first 17" MBP batteries, but if you don't have a 17", it might be something else, or perhaps just the battery is dead from use or neglect.