MBP shutsdown while trying to boot lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by SDub90, Dec 24, 2011.

1. SDub90, Dec 24, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2011

SDub90 macrumors 6502a

I tried searching for a solution and couldn't find anything that worked, so I'm hoping someone else had this issue and found something that worked.

I've had nothing but issues restarting my computer since installing lion - either it takes more than a half hour to start up (when I shut down with resuming just a single textedit window), about 10 minutes to start up without resuming any apps, and most of the time I have to spend an hour trying to get the system to boot with or without resuming any apps (usually resetting PRAM and forced shutdowns at the apple logo gets it going).

But now I have a new issue...

On thursday, I quit every application and properly shutdown my computer... Yesterday I tried starting it up and after about 2 hours it was still at the apple logo (it looked like it was going to boot up so I left the house). I forced it to shut down, tried restarting and then it shut down after about 2 minutes of trying to reboot. I started it in the recovery partition and ran disk utility and it could not repair the drive. After that, it now shows a progress bar under the apple logo and still shuts downs while booting.

After posting this I'm going to try an SMC and PRAM reset (don't know why I didn't try the SMC before). If that doesn't work I'm going to have to remove the drive and back up everything (haven't had the opportunity to do that in a few weeks) then reinstall - something I've been looking to do anyway. Hopefully there's another solution to get the computer working for this weekend at least.

I'm getting sick of lion. If the clean reinstall doesn't fix all the issues I've been having, I'm going back to SL until I absolutely have to stick with lion.

thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

EDIT: Just tried booting in verbose mode, it seems to be attempting repairs on start up and fails, also showing a disk full error (there was at least 10-15GB free before shutting down the computer).

Seems like I may need to clear some space and try disk repair again.

2. SDub90 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Apparently I can't edit posts from my phone.... but anyway,

Just checked in disk utility and I have 15gb free. I don't know what the disk full error means.

3. SDub90 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hate to bump this, but does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Looks like I'm going to spend my Monday taking the drive out to back it up (or making an external boot drive to do it).