MBP Shutting down out of nowhere when not plugged in

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dmb3886, Mar 11, 2009.

1. dmb3886 macrumors regular

So as the title says, it literally is fine then just shut downs (and yes, i have around full battery). Every time i disconnect it, after a short time it will shut down. Then if i start it back up without reconnecting the battery, it'll just shut down again.

Note - it does not go through a shut down procedure, it just goes "click" then blank

please help :(

2. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

is the battery dead? does it show a x icon where the battery info is on the menu bar in OSX?

perhaps try a SMC and PRAM reset

SMC - remove the battery press and hold the power button for 5-10 seconds, place the battery back in, turn on then reset PRAM: holding COMMAND OPTION P R at the same time until it chimes a second time.

if not might be a defunct battery

hope that helps somewhat.

3. dmb3886 thread starter macrumors regular

Ill have to try that, but it seems like other people have had this issue after researching it a little bit. Unfortunately, I can't afford to be screwed by Apple right now... I went on their support website (which has a designation for this), and they wanted to charge me 50$ for a phone call.

Can they really do this? I never bought apple care, but can they really charge me 50$ for talking to them about a product defected under manufacturing? Will i be able to bring it to them in person in an attempt to get out of that fee?

On a separate note, while im there i might as well bring my 1st gen ipod nano which is covered in scratches, but thats not really important at the moment

i just can't be betrayed right now by such high level corporate corruption

4. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

Is your Macbook Pro still under the first year warranty?...Or it could be the logic board is failing...

5. medea macrumors 68030

medea

How old is your macbook, has the regular applecare already expired?

There have been problems with batteries, if your battery is one of those that had an issue it would show up X'd out and should say no battery installed. If that is not the case then your battery could just be dead which does happen if you don't take proper care of it.

And for future reference Apple did not manufacture the faulty batteries.

6. dmb3886 thread starter macrumors regular

not still under the original warranty, by 1 month
    EDIT: Advice on what to do, if i take it in to a local apple retailer will they help me?
    and also, what do u mean by not taking care of it...i power down my laptop ever night but what are other things that should be done?

7. medea macrumors 68030

medea

They'll help you at the apple store but I don't know if you'll have to pay for a new battery or not since it's no longer under warranty. You'd have to ask them.

You need to make sure you don't run your macbook off of AC the whole time, the battery actually needs to be run down at least once a month. After a battery is charged it's important to unplug it and actually run it off of battery.

8. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

Sound like you may be suffering from SBS, or swollen battery syndrome, whereby the battery becomes so distorted that the connectors are physically pushed apart.

If you’ve been experiencing sudden shut-downs while running on battery power, then it’s well worth checking the physical condition of your battery. Remove it from your machine and check it visually. Extreme swelling will be immediately apparent, as the aluminium cover will be seen to be separating from the battery itself. Even if this level of swelling is not apparent, you may be able to detect more subtle distortion by “rocking” the battery against a flat surface such as a mirror. Place it face down on the surface and push down on each corner in turn. If any of the opposite corners lift away from the mirror then you have a problem. Turn it over and try again. If you detect any distortion, it’s time to contact Applecare.

9. dmb3886 thread starter macrumors regular

Applecare told me to either try calibrating it or buy a new one - but since because of the nature of the problem i can't calibrate it looks like i need a new one. Ill bring it to the apple store and see if the guys will be nicer there

if not, :tdown:

i actually did not know the battery needed to be run down like that...it's always been on AC when at my house (so I guess that's my problem). Thanks a ton, i wont make that mistake twice and that makes a lot of sense

10. eagle1979 macrumors newbie

Let us know what happened. Did Apple guys help you, was plugging in the AC power all time the problem.

I have recently bought 2 macbooks and would be anxious to know how to avoid bad battery situations.

11. dmb3886 thread starter macrumors regular

They didn't tell me what the problem was, they just said i had a defective battery after my "full charge capacity" was 641mah and my cycle count was 78 or 60 something..but then they were like, since it was a couple weeks out of warranty, they couldn't send me a replacement

that's when they said calibrate it and if that doesnt work sorry you'll have to buy a new one

disappointing phone call