MBP Situation

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by vp719, Sep 4, 2010.

  1. vp719 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2007
    #1
    I'm in a bit of a predicament with my MBP right now and am looking for some advice. Since 2007 I've had a 15" MBP Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz 2GB RAM 120GB Storage and have loved it. In June the hard drive crashed and I had to wipe and reset everything. Through the summer it worked pretty well til it died again last week. Took it to the Apple store, they couldn't figure it out so I sent it away and, assuming it was dead, purchased the latest 15" MBP.

    Two days later I get my old MBP back in the mail, they had to fix the logic board and cooling system but other than that it seems fine, no HD problems this time.

    So here is my issue - right now I have 2 fully functioning MBP's. Do I return the new one, pay the restock fee, get ~2,000 back, and go back to my old MBP and hope it can last me at least one more year (my plan was to get a new MBP next summer, I wanted to get 4 years out of this one). Or do I keep the new one and try to sell the old one on eBay where it looks like I could get ~800. I'm in college so money is an issue....I just don't want to return the new one and have this crash again in a month.


    Thoughts?
     
  2. MonkeyET macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2009
    Location:
    Coachella, CA
    #2
    I suppose if I were you, I would return the new one and try to extend the life of the old one. If anything, if it will last you to the next revision, you will have more $$$ in your pocket. It seems hard to throw away money on the restocking fee, but it would give you some money back.

    Was the repair done under a warranty, or did you have to shell out for it?
     
  3. vp719 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2007
    #3
    I had to play the flat rate labor/hardware cost - $300. My Apple Care had expired so no warranty. So as I understand it, after my return I'll be out ~$500.

    I spent $2,500 total on the purchase and repair. So after the fees I'll still get a good amount of it back. I'll just be pissed if this crashes again in a month and I'm out this 500.
     
  4. green86 macrumors 6502

    green86

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2007
    Location:
    North Carolina
    #4
    It's really hard to predict if it will fail again. The system isn't that old.But if you were planning on the system lasting 4 years, and it lasted 3, I think you might as well sell it. Arrandale (the Core i5 and i7 platform) was a big step up from the Core 2 Duo. Next year I really doubt there will be as big as a performance leap. So I don't think you'll be losing much by keeping the new MBP. If I were you I'd sell the old one now, you'll also get more this year vs. next year for it.
     
  5. rnelan7 macrumors 6502

    rnelan7

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2009
    Location:
    Boise
    #5
    I would have to agree with this statement. You just got it repaired so it is in pretty descent shape. Sell it for as much and you can get and go from there. I am sure you will be very happy when you really start using the 15"
     
  6. InfoSecmgr Guest

    InfoSecmgr

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2009
    Location:
    Ypsilanti, Michigan
    #6
    Thoughts? Sure. Why didn't you wait until your old computer came back diagnosed/fixed? I usually don't run out and buy something brand new on assumptions.
     
  7. green86 macrumors 6502

    green86

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2007
    Location:
    North Carolina
    #7
    While you have a point, its no use crying over spilled milk... the OP is here asking for advice on what to do now.
     
  8. vp719 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2007
    #8
    The way the Geniuses were talking when I took it to the store made it seem like my old one was lost, and they suggested I replace it. I sent it in for the long shot of getting it fixed and selling, but didn't expect it to come back so fast and repaired so well. I couldn't be without a computer for more than a day or two (again, at college) so when they told me ~10 days repair I had no real option. This is a tough call.
     
  9. vistadude macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2010
    #9
    Return it. Why do you have to pay a restocking fee? Just tell them it didn't work, compatible apps didn't install properly.
     
  10. Black.Infinity macrumors 6502

    Black.Infinity

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2010
    Location:
    Apple tree-Toronto
    #10
    Ok your mac is out of warranty and if agian something so bad goes wrong you Have to pay for it am i right??????

    And you already paid like 500 to get it fixed you dont want to spend another 500 to get you old mac get fixed
    So as long as your old mac works and you can sell it then sell it
     
  11. Black.Infinity macrumors 6502

    Black.Infinity

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2010
    Location:
    Apple tree-Toronto
    #11
    And another option if you want to keep your old one and return the new one and do not want to pay restocking fee just blame apple for the mistake
     
  12. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2008
    Location:
    Thule GL @ the TOW
    #12
    ...your decision is easy, if you can't be without a reliable machine sell the old MBP now that it just came back from the repair shop... and put the $$ away for the next time you "need" to upgrade...
     

Share This Page