Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kinai-ahi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2007
San Clemente
I have the latest MBP and have some issues with bringing it out of sleep. I always put it to sleep while not in use. Upon opening, it would not power up so I had to go to the power button. When pushing the power button, it eventually powered off then power up again.

Also, I left it plugged in last night and it was extremely hot to the touch.

Any suggestions?? Thanks.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Okay, what third party hardware (including RAM) do you have attached or connected? What (if any) third party apps are running when you put it to sleep?

Vuzie

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
Maryland
I've had similar issues with my SR MBP the past 2-3 weeks. It goes to sleep when I leave it alone for a while, but then I get the rainbow spinny wheel when it wakes up and I can't do anything but shut down via power button. No third party apps running at the time (unless you count my chia pet in the dashboard, minimized). Safari, Mail and iChat are always open. When this happens, the computer feels very very hot, can't actually check the temp since I can't do anything. Lately I've been sending it to screen saver via a hot corner, and the sleep/wake problem doesn't happen. But now that I've said it....

rosh325

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2007
In the ether
Just a question:

When you try to wake it from sleep, do you hear the superdrive at all? I found that from time to time, my MBP would be slow to wake. I would hear the superdrive, but then nothing would come on the screen for like 20 seconds. Just want to make sure that is not happening to you. It can happen when you have a lot of apps running that get paused during sleep.

thagomizer

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2005
USA
Does it get hot if you have it plugged in, but without the battery installed? Some of the symptoms you describe sound like it's having problems charging the battery -- sending it more juice than it needs. The CPU in the battery can get confused.

Create a new user account, don't run any apps, and leave that account logged in overnight and perform the same steps. This should keep any background tasks from running up the CPU.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.