MBP sleep issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by komseban, Aug 2, 2012.

1. komseban, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012

komseban macrumors member

I have a 2010 Macbook Pro. No upgrades, just 13" stock model C2D.

For the past 6 months, I've noticed a weird behavior with my MBP. When I put it into sleep mode, sometimes it won't wake back up. But when I close it, the little light will come up and stay up for minutes. The only way to fix it is to press the power button to force it to turn off, and then to press the button again to restart my laptop. I thought a PRAM reset would solve the issue but after doing one three days ago the problem seems to have gotten worse. I've had that issue every time I put my laptop into sleep now.

Please help. :C I asked the question into the apple help community but I haven't had any responses. Do I need to set up a genius appointment?

2. geoffreak, Aug 2, 2012

geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

When in doubt, take it in to Apple, especially if you have AppleCare.

I have a slightly similar issue with my MBP (stats in signature), but it involves removing/adding a USB device when it is in sleep mode and not opened. If I were to do that, it would wake up, but then try and go back to sleep, locking me out from using it for about 10-15 minutes. I don't suppose your issue is similar? Have you tried waiting it out?

I don't suppose you've tried resetting the SMC?

3. komseban thread starter macrumors member

Ugh. Apple care. I totally forgot to renew mine last year before it ran out, totally banging my head over a wall on that one. Makes me super angry.

Well, I don't know if it's a USB issue. Because the only USB I had plugged in was for my tablet and in the past it really didn't have that issue. I suppose I could unplug it and see if changes?

And I have tried an SMC reset. I didn't notice a difference. D:

4. geoffreak, Aug 2, 2012

geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

5. komseban thread starter macrumors member

I've read through them and I don't think those are relevant to my issue.
    I'm still on snow leopard. It's either a hardware or software issue I think.

I'll try and do another SMC reset and hope for the best. Set up a genius bar appointment for sunday though. QnQ

6. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Hmmm. I read in a few of these topics that upgrading from SL -> Lion fixed some issues. Any reason you are holding out? (You'll need to buy Lion at a physical Apple store from a Genius, as it is no longer available from the App Store)

7. komseban thread starter macrumors member

I have a few software that need the rosetta part that was dropped from Lion in order to run. :C

Not to mention, I just don't like the whole APP space appearance.

8. macNewbie02 macrumors regular

Hi,

I had wakening problems on my base new retina MBP. The only solution I found that helped me was to format the partition and freshly installing Mountain Lion. Now I don't have any wakening problem. It's a little agressive solution, but it worked for me.

9. komseban thread starter macrumors member

I don't have OSX Lion. Haha. I don't plan to get it either.

But, I found out it was a USB issue.
    The usb to my tablet was messing things up. As soon as I started unplugging my tablet, all the issues went away. c: