Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cookiemonster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
in the desert somewhere
Hello everyone,
got a new mbp- but I cant seem to get it to sleep unless I go and select the sleep option- I want the computer after a period of inactivity to go to sleep on its own, any help?

Also when I turn the computer on it doesnt make that typical noise I've heard on MBP but rather a quick buip noise.... Is that normal or sign for trouble to come

Im just not too familiar and I think its best to ask people with more knowledge on the subject
I'd appreciate it
thanks again :)

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
Hello everyone,
got a new mbp- but I cant seem to get it to sleep unless I go and select the sleep option- I want the computer after a period of inactivity to go to sleep on its own, any help?

Also when I turn the computer on it doesnt make that typical noise I've heard on MBP but rather a quick buip noise.... Is that normal or sign for trouble to come

Im just not too familiar and I think its best to ask people with more knowledge on the subject
I'd appreciate it
thanks again :)

I assume you have gone into the Energy Saver settings to fiddle with things and still are having issues?

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
the noise you hear when you startup is the optical drive checking for a disc on startup. to hear you startup "DUNG!" make sure you havent muted your speakers before you shut down.

the macbook not sleeping after a certain amount of time isnt an issue! just check out the energy saver in system preferences. i have my MBP to never sleep while on the power adapter and sleep after 10 min when running on battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.