Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Verdanice

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
I have a mid-2008 15" MBP 2.4GHz. I've been becoming more and more annoyed by a general issue with the notebook's sleep mode. I find it's incredibly easy to completely baffle OS X by opening and closing the lid.

I realize how sleeping works, copying the processes in memory to a segment on the hard drive, and I realize this can take a moment, buy my MBP can take ten minutes to sleep. Occasionally I'll close the lid and then remember I need to check one more thing, and opening the lid before the computer is asleep (light glowing) means disaster. The computer throws a fit, taking several minutes to bring me a login window and being unable to sleep for twenty minutes or more if I decide to close the lid again because I can't wait for OS X to figure out whether it should be sleeping or awake.

The other thing, I'll sometimes put the notebook to sleep and got to bed, only to hear the computer waking up again moments later, with the lid closed. This requires me getting up and waiting for it to wake p again (lid open) so that I can try closing the lid again. It's ridiculous, like trying to put a toddler to bed.

I usually have a Bluetooth keyboard and Mighty Mouse connected, and don't turn those off before putting it to sleep at night - I don't think I should need to. I have the Bluetooth preference that allows BT devices to wake the computer turned off.

So, any tips? A program/setting that will act as a sleeping pill for OS X?

Thanks!

Jeffrosproto

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
I usually have a Bluetooth keyboard and Mighty Mouse connected, and don't turn those off before putting it to sleep at night - I don't think I should need to. I have the Bluetooth preference that allows BT devices to wake the computer turned off.

Sounds like that may be your problem, but I'm not an expert on Bluetooth devices (haven't ever owned one personally...)

Verdanice

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
Sounds like that may be your problem, but I'm not an expert on Bluetooth devices (haven't ever owned one personally...)

Sorry, I phrased that wrong - I have that preference disabled. Thanks for the response, though!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.