MBP Sleep or Shut down?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Joemero, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Joemero macrumors regular

I've read that MBPs are designed to run forever and that a lot of people never shut there MBPs down and only let them go to sleep. What's the longest most of you have gone where you don't shut down your machine but just let it go to sleep when you're done working? One month, a year?? How safe is it to carry it around in a backpack while walking around school when in sleep mode? What are the advantages besides faster start up in only allowing to go to sleep rather than full shut down? How long will a 100% battery charge last while in sleep mode?

2. hamis92 macrumors 6502

I usually carry mine in the backpack while it's sleeping. Haven't had any problems doing so. Disconnecting all Bluetooth devices beforehand is wise, though, because the connection is maintained even in the sleep mode and exiting the range of, say, Bluetooth mouse tends to wake up the machine.

I shut down my MBP only if I know I won't be using it for a couple of days, otherwise I just close the lid and let it sleep.

Battery lasts maybe a week or so in sleep mode, but MBPs have this handy feature called "SafeSleep". This means that the state of the machine is also saved onto the hard drive, not just into the RAM. Benefits? Your MBP wakes up instantly if it has battery life in it, but data is not lost when the battery runs out of juice.

Can't say anything specific about recent uptimes, but 15 days is pretty usual for me.

3. Joemero thread starter macrumors regular

I'm curious as to how long others keep their MBP on sleep?

4. reservedegotist macrumors regular

I don't know whether it's good practice but since my computer is quite fast in boot up time I like to shut it down to preserve the charge; I doubt it would affect the health of the battery but if I'm wrong, I'll start using sleep mode more often :p

5. atticus27 macrumors regular

atticus27

I just put mine to sleep at night and do a restart once a week or whenever there's an update that requires one.

6. magentawave macrumors regular

Where in your System Preferences do you go to change settings for sleep mode?

Thanks
    Steve

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

^ Energy Saver? ^

I leave mine on unless there's an update. Longest so far is 2 months nonstop.

8. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I usually only restart because of software updates. I had a 70 or 80 day uptime on my Powerbook G4 once. Longest on this MBP is 10 or 14 days.

Shutting down and restarting is for windows users.

9. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

I sleep everything. My Mac mini is usually asleep for around ten hours and my PowerMac server for eight, I think. No adverse effects (is that the right one?) have occurred, aside from occasional slowdown and I only restart if there is a mammothly massive problem or there are updates.

My mom sleeps her Studio 1537 rather than shutting down simply because it takes forever to startup.

The family's XPS 410 is put into hibernate, a feature I long for in desktop Macs, and that only screws up AOL.