MBP Sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mr Ski 73, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Mr Ski 73 macrumors regular

I currently use my MBP as a desktop machine (i.e. in Calmshell mode) and have an external hard drive attached by FW800. I also have a Mac Mini as a HTPC but want to be able to access the FW800 drive on my MBP.

At the moment my MBP goes to sleep and therefore the drive is not available. MY question is, if I stop my MBP going to sleep and keep it awake all the time will this damage my MBP?

Thanks in advance

2. Remiss63 macrumors newbie

Remiss63

I use my MBP in virtually the same way. I have a larger flat monitor, wireless keyboard, wireless mouse, and external drive. So I keep the MBP essentially closed. To keep it from going to sleep, I keep it open just a crack. Sometimes I'll put something small between the two halves so I don't accidentally close it (which I've done).

My main concern about it "hurting" the MBP relates to the build-up of heat. I keep my MBP raised up off the tabletop with a small stand that allows air to circulate below it. I've also on occasion set something cool against the hinge to draw some heat off it.

The problem that I have is that if / when the MBP goes to sleep (accidentally closing it or having it "time out") I sometimes can't recover and wake it up. In those cases I often have to restart which I don't feel good about.

Is this similar to your problem? Does anyone know how I can make sure that the MBP will wake up successfully from sleep mode?

3. Mr Ski 73 thread starter macrumors regular

Sort of

I am worried about the heat and if it will damage the screen, particularly if the MBP never sleeps.

I also have it on a stand so air can circulate underneath but I do close the lid completely. I would say I use my MBP in this way 80% of the time.

Has anyone else got any views on this????

Reference waking from sleep I found that the last firmware update fixed the problem that was introduced by 10.5.2, are you running the latest version?

4. operator207 macrumors 6502

Try this, install istat pro. Use the MBP the same way your using it now, but with the lid open like you would be using the screen on the MPB. See what the temps are through out the day.

Do the same thing with the lid in the position you normally have it in (closed, or partially open) see if the temps change.

istat pro should give you temps from battery, gpu, battery, cpu.

Either you will find that its too hot, or it will put your mind at ease that your not burning up your +$2k laptop.

5. Mr Ski 73 thread starter macrumors regular

Good idea, now installed

Currently CPU A 104, GPU Diode 117, GPU Heatsink 106 and Heatsink A 108

The bit I am worried about is the area above the keyboard and the F2/F3 key area, any idea what is there, is it the graphics card?

I am also going to pop into an Apple store today so will ask them.

6. operator207 macrumors 6502

I believe the GPU is top left and CPU is top right. Its that way on a PowerBook, and I cannot imagine its too different on a mbp.

7. Mr Ski 73 thread starter macrumors regular

So if my GPU is sitting permanently at 100 degrees and is directly under my screen will this be damaged if my MBP is always awake?