MBP sleeping problem.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joesenior91, Feb 9, 2010.

1. joesenior91 macrumors member

Hi there,

I've had my MBP for just over a year now, so no apple care or anything like that. Typically it's started acting up now rather then 6 months ago :p

the problem i have started a bit after i got snow leopard. If you close the lid it falls asleep, for about 5 seconds then there's hard drive activity and the screen comes on, all while the lid's still closed. Then it'll fall asleep again and the cycle repeats. while it's doing this the temperature rises to something like 80 - 90 C, even though all it's doing is sleeping and waking.

If you try to put it it sleep via the taskbar it goes to sleep for a few seconds then wakes up. There's also a huge, like HUGE, CPU spike at the point when it wakes up and console doesn't say what it is.

If you try to shut the laptop down and the power cable is plugged in it instantly restarts, taking the cable out resolves this but is still a pain.

the last problem is something i'd probably ignore if it weren't for the others, just think it could be linked. The top half of the screen occassionally flicks off and back on for no apparent reason.

I've tried resetting SMC and PRAM, turned off wake from sleep and wake from bluetooth devices, unplugged everything then tried to put it to sleep.

I'd really like to get this resolved because i can't carry it anywhere without shutting the whole thing down, and leaving it on with the screen brightness right down is the only option i have for night time if i don't want to shut it down for an alarm, which can't be good.

Any idea what's going on??

Cheers, Joe

2. joesenior91 thread starter macrumors member

3. RqThrottle macrumors member

4. joesenior91 thread starter macrumors member