MBP sllooowwwwwing down on webpages with gifs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by deosaa7, Jun 27, 2011.

1. deosaa7 macrumors member

Hello,

I was recently looking at a webpage with 6-7 gifs of great sporting moments. Each gif was a few seconds long..I noticed my computer for the first time slowed down..initially each gif played frame by frame and scrolling down the page was no longer smooth. I'm just wondering why this would be so taxing to my computer?

Specs are in the signature.

2. The Mad Mule macrumors regular

Yes, for some reason every Mac I've used just dies when it comes to loading a .gif or something Flash-related.

3. deosaa7 thread starter macrumors member

Pardon me if I sound ignorant but *gifs are flash related?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, they're not related, but both .gifs and Flash tend to be inefficient on Safari.

5. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

U are not alone. Every Mac computer I've owned did that. If I go to a website that has gifs, its slow down safari drastically.

6. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

does chrome or firefox have this issue?

for whatever reason when i attempt to load a page with a lot of images or .gifs my computer has trouble scrolling and loading. i know that you just said that safari has .gif inefficiency but what also is occurring is a lot of problems handling a lot of .jpgs, and can't recall such occurrences with past computers with equal-ish specs.

think it's safari or my system? i am running on a 2.4 c2d, 4gb, 5400 rpm.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't know, since I prefer Safari and don't use the others.
    I haven't had that problem with other image types; only .gifs. Try resetting Safari, clearing cache and cookies. Also, look at Activity Monitor on the System Memory tab at the bottom and see if you have excessive page outs or swap used, to see if you need more RAM. I have 4GB of RAM and occasionally have 50+ tabs open simultaneously, many with non-.gif images, with no performance problems.

8. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

it's mainly when i am pulling up a ton of images at once on a forum on a post and i usually have trouble loading a bunch at a time. maybe it's the forum itself, not sure. i reset safari upon exit every time. i will try out other browsers soon.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It might be a bandwidth issue on the site. Can you post a link?

10. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

i think you're right. i have no problems on other sites. come to think of it i browse wallpapers a lot and those are around 100+ imgs at a time (although only a little larger than thumbnail size) and i have no problems loading them up page after page.

as far as switching browsers, i still want to give other a try again but haven't gotten around to it. would you recommend keeping safari? i think it would benefit me as safari is part of the updating process through software updates. just need to find adblocks and clicktoflash for firefox.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't usually recommend browsers, since the choice is mostly a matter of personal preference. I have Safari configured the way I want, with plug-ins, extensions, etc. Some of the things I use aren't available on other browsers, AFAIK. It's not worth the hassle to disrupt my workflow to switch, with nothing significant to gain. YMMV

12. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

of course, i was just asking if you think it would be beneficial to just keep safari on my computer even if i am using firefox. i.e. do you think i will run into problems with software update if safari isn't installed on my computer?

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, I would leave it installed. I don't recommend moving or uninstalling any of the apps that come with OS X, for exactly the reason that I don't want problems with Software Update. It won't hurt to leave it installed... just takes up a bit of disk space.

14. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

alright thanks a lot.

15. Sam2lucky13 macrumors 6502

Sam2lucky13

gifs will slow down every computer or browser thats more of a bandwidth issue.