Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

schmons

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2007
so I have a 1+ year old MBP where the superdrive is located right under the right hand plam rest... well my palm is usually resting right above the opening when im using the trackpad and it's starting to show signs of wear.
The opening towards the center of the slot is pinched down a little. if you look at it straight on, there is a slight concave look to it. the left side is just fine.
well im starting to notice when i eject a cd/dvd, the top of the disk is starting to rub against the top of the slot opening. is anyone else noticing this or is it just me?
should i take some pliers and open it up again?

CapitalQ

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
so I have a 1+ year old MBP where the superdrive is located right under the right hand plam rest... well my palm is usually resting right above the opening when im using the trackpad and it's starting to show signs of wear.
The opening towards the center of the slot is pinched down a little. if you look at it straight on, there is a slight concave look to it. the left side is just fine.
well im starting to notice when i eject a cd/dvd, the top of the disk is starting to rub against the top of the slot opening. is anyone else noticing this or is it just me?
should i take some pliers and open it up again?

My MBP has this problem, and I've had it for less than half a year. Here's a picture of the slotdrive, and then a picture of the drive with a yellow outline showing what shape it should actually be (note the concave/dip). Discs are starting to eject improperly or not at all. Any suggestions?

mbp_slotdrive.jpg

mbp_slotdrive_border.jpg

JSchwage

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2006
Rochester, NY
Wow. That's actually quite a big problem. Do either of you have AppleCare? I'm sure Apple will give you a new MBP if it's under warranty.

CapitalQ

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
I do have AppleCare, but I really don't want to have to start over after putting six months into this computer (on both the OS X and Windows partitions). I guess I'll wait until it stops working completely before I report a problem.

JSchwage

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2006
Rochester, NY
I do have AppleCare, but I really don't want to have to start over after putting six months into this computer (on both the OS X and Windows partitions). I guess I'll wait until it stops working completely before I report a problem.
Just use a program like Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper to make a backup image of your hard drive contents. Then you can restore that on your new MBP. (Not sure if it'll work with Windows partitions.)

Or, if you use Time Machine that makes it even easier. When you get your new MBP, just plug in your external drive, and boot off of the Leopard DVD. Then you can restore OS X.

CapitalQ

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
Just use a program like Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper to make a backup image of your hard drive contents. Then you can restore that on your new MBP. (Not sure if it'll work with Windows partitions.)

Or, if you use Time Machine that makes it even easier. When you get your new MBP, just plug in your external drive, and boot off of the Leopard DVD. Then you can restore OS X.

I don't use Leopard, and I really care more about keeping the Windows partition intact, heh.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
There are so many weird problems with the MBPs; they've been out for several generations and multiple years now, and stuff like this continues to happen. I wonder how people expect things will be any different with the MBP that debuts in January.

amrk47

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2007
macbook pros are good for 6 months and thats it
they either dent, scratch, chip, bend, whatever

u never hear Dell users complaining about these issues

this is why im awaiting the redesign of the MBP

rogair

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2007
Unfortunately Apple won't give you a replacement for that. Its caused by you pressing down with your palm when typing, or when you pick up the machine with 1 hand and squish it yourself (intentional or not). Take a flat head screwdriver and wrap it in a thin cloth (tea towel), insert and twist it slowly. Only way to fix it.

CapitalQ

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
Unfortunately Apple won't give you a replacement for that. Its caused by you pressing down with your palm when typing, or when you pick up the machine with 1 hand and squish it yourself (intentional or not). Take a flat head screwdriver and wrap it in a thin cloth (tea towel), insert and twist it slowly. Only way to fix it.

The slot was bent from the day I bought the laptop; I assumed it was a design flaw but never thought it was a big deal. Only lately have I begun to notice problems with ejecting discs.

just02

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2007
Portland, OR
I don't use Leopard, and I really care more about keeping the Windows partition intact, heh.

:rolleyes:

The screwdriver idea sounds good, but contact Apple or head over to an Apple Store to get their opinion. :) If they replace it, you could always request that they transfer your files ($$); or like others mentioned, just move all of your data to a different harddrive and boot off of it to make sure every thing is a go. Good luck!

CapitalQ

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
Take a flat head screwdriver and wrap it in a thin cloth (tea towel), insert and twist it slowly. Only way to fix it.

Thanks for this idea, I did something similar with a similar object and similar covering... and, uh, it worked pretty well. Discs eject nice and smoothly now. The drive looks a little funky, but, hey, functionality over design (whoops, wrong forum).

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
The poster was correct; MacBook owners typically have much more hardware-related problems than Dell users. Apple's quality control department leaves a bit to the imagination.

Totally agree. Dells may not be pretty, but they get the job done. And in the end, I'd rather deal with a cheap machine that's built like a brick and lasts like one, than a gorgeous machine that self-destructs piece by piece, taking my bank account with it. If two computers break down in a year, but one costs three times as much as the other, it's pretty hard to argue the cheaper machine was a worse deal than the expensive one.

broken

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2007
i also had the same problem.. and i now i can't insert any cd because i'm afraid that my mbp will swallow it.
I'm planning on taking it to a nearby apple store, but i'm not sure wheter they will get it covered or not.. and i doubt that the repair will take a shor time..
and i just have my mbp for 4 months now.. *sigh*
Is the complementary 1year warranty can cover this up?

RealaT

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2008
i've just joined these forums to find out about this exact problem (see, some of us are capable of searching first :p)

i'm having this same problem on my 3 month old MBP, and i see the cause is exactly what i thought it was, i have a habit of leaning hard on the very edge of a desk with the ball of my palm when i'm using a computer, and this is obviously what i've done on my MBP pressing the damn thing down too hard!!

i've actually fixed it using one of those plastic 'ipod opening tools' you get with replacement batteries

nice to finally be a member of the forums after reading posts for the last couple of months

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
The poster was correct; MacBook owners typically have much more hardware-related problems than Dell users. Apple's quality control department leaves little to the imagination.

That's a very bold statement based on what? Your subjective opinion from spending equal time on both types of forums and in their repair stores?

I am not disagreeing with you, I am merely arguing about your basis for uttering non-backed up claims. :)

lucky3killer

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
The poster was correct; MacBook owners typically have much more hardware-related problems than Dell users. Apple's quality control department leaves little to the imagination.

If Apple would let Dell to make Mac compatible notebook, opposite to IBM compatible then it would be nice one but I doubt that Apple would let it.

Windows is just blah.

CapitalQ

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
That's a very bold statement based on what? Your subjective opinion from spending equal time on both types of forums and in their repair stores?

I am not disagreeing with you, I am merely arguing about your basis for uttering non-backed up claims. :)

It's my subjective opinion from being a Windows user for ten years of my life and a Mac user for half of one year. The amount of problems posted daily in this very forum is mind-boggling.

Every Mac bar the Pro towers uses slot loading trays... do Dells? No wonder you don't hear about the same issue. Genius.

When he said "these" problems, I assumed he was referring to the more frequently appearing topics in this forum, like screen "yellowing," overheating and keyboard unresponsiveness; not just CD drive issues.

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
I'VE SAID IT BEFORE, AND ILL SAY IT AGAIN. THE TIBOOK WAS THE BEST LAPTOP DESIGN APPLE EVER PRODUCED.

I have owned one, my friend owned one. 3 years of use, dropped 3 times, the thing will not break. It doesn't bend, warp, or any of that. The only issue was the paint would chip but I don't care about that, I just look at it like a used race car. They look scratched up, but underneath it's top notch. I really wish Apple would introduce a completely new case and material. The aluminum case apple is using today, is really soft/thin. They need a harder, more durable material that's not brittle! It's common ***** sense. Why do companies always take a great thing and ruin it. Human nature i suppose. :rolleyes:

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
When he said "these" problems, I assumed he was referring to the more frequently appearing topics in this forum, like screen "yellowing," overheating and keyboard unresponsiveness; not just CD drive issues.

That as may be, I think Apple issues seem more prevalent as the market is smaller, and due mostly to the machine's pricepoints, the complaints are louder ;)

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
That as may be, I think Apple issues seem more prevalent as the market is smaller, and due mostly to the machine's pricepoints, the complaints are louder ;)

Exactly but for the Price you shouldn't have these stupid problems reducing up-time of the machine I mean if it's for work and you have to do a presentation and your computer doesn't work your screwed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.