MBP slow boot up (5 mins) possibly related to sleep mode breaking

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mr Brainz, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Mr Brainz macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I hope a more proficient Mac user than me can assist me.

I recently made the giant leap from Windows to OS X. I went all the way to the hilt, buying a Macbook Pro about 3 months ago.

Was pretty happy with my purchase up until a week ago when it all went pair-shaped.

My boot time has changed from 30 secs - 1 min all the way up to 5 minutes to boot. Once the Apple logo goes (which is much longer than it was before) I get a blue screen for about 3 minutes.

What I've also noticed is that I can no longer close the lid on my MBP and put it into standby mode as when I try to open it back up it wont resume.

I think I caused the problem by closing and opening the lid too quickly so it went into standby mode and couldn't be recovered so I did a hard shutdown holding the power button. I'm pretty sure the problem started after that.

I've Googled this and found nothing on it. It's quite upsetting as I didn't expect to have such a colossal problem with a new laptop 3 months in, and Apple's "support" documents seem to always end with secret option #3 - reinstall Leopard. If Microshaft put that in their support docs there'd be uproar!

Does anyone have any idea at all how to get me out of my own personal OS X hell without a complete re-install? To recap - 5 minute boot time with a blue screen, and no wake from standby or presence of hibernation.

Thanks in advance,

Greg

2. Mr Brainz thread starter macrumors newbie

Any Mac gangsters out there that can assist me?

3. LinMac macrumors 65816

You can try some of the following:

1) Reset SMC and NVRAM.
    2) Repair permissions.
    3) Use a utility like Leopard Cache Cleaner to clean system caches and perform other maintenance.

OS X is pretty good about keeping itself tidy, but I find it doesn't hurt to give it a bit of help.

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

5. twynne macrumors 6502a

Just a thought...

I highly recommend the 'SmartSleep' application (actually installs into System Preferences). It basically watches your battery state and if running on power or you have plenty of battery left (a configurable level) it will use Sleep only (as opposed to Hibernate and Sleep by default). If battery is below the configured level it will use Hibernate and Sleep.

The System Preference panel lets you switch sleep modes as well - so you can choose 'smart sleep' as described above, or manually choose one of the other modes.

Switching this may sort out your sleep issues so you don't have to keep shutting down completely.

Just Google it or look on VersionTracker.

Good luck,

Tom

6. Mr Brainz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your responses so far. I really appreciate it. I have some queries below:

Thanks again

7. Mr Brainz thread starter macrumors newbie

FYI I managed to fix this.

I used Leopard Cach Cleaner first and did all of their maintenance and troublshooting processes but this seemed to have no effect.

I then reset the SMC and NVRAM by taking out the battery and power cable, then holding the power button for 5 seconds.

The first time I booted back up it did the same long ass boot, but then standby mode started working. The boot after that was fine.

Thanks very much.

8. Ogre420 macrumors newbie

I have been searching and searching and finally found it...

My MBP is suffering the same symptoms, however it still persists after many attempts of troubleshooting.

To start, a long boot up with a blue screen for about 5 to 10 minutes. Then everything is back to normal and as good as it was the day I got it.

When I awake it from sleep mode or if I close the lid then re-open it after some time, I just get a black screen with a sleep light staying constant. No noises, sounds or anything.

Any ideas, thoughts, help...

Thanks...

9. Mr Brainz thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Ogre,

Did you try my solution as I described?

Reset the SMC and NVRAM by taking out the battery and power cable, then holding the power button for 5 seconds.

brainz

10. Ogre420 macrumors newbie

Sure did.

I spoke with Apple Support twice with no luck.

Both times they had me shut down, remove the battery (making sure the power adapter is not plugged in), hold the power button for five seconds then install the battery and hold command, option, R and M or something like that as well as holding the power button until the Apple dong at start up chimed twice.

No luck yet.