MBP: Slow to find wireless network on wake up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lom8104, Apr 18, 2009.

1. lom8104 macrumors regular

Anyone else get frustrated by how slow MBPs are to find a wireless network on wake up? I often have opened Safari and selected a bookmark before it finds my home network. Of course it gives me the "not connected to the internet" error, then reloads to homepage when it finds the network a few seconds later. For comparison, my 4 year old powerbook finds the network immediately when I open it. Thoughts?

2. Albal macrumors member

My ancient PB finds it just as quick as my new MBP but my girlfriends MB takes forever to find the same network.

Strange.

3. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

Mine its only about 3 to 5 seconds not that bad...

4. iBrody macrumors 6502

I'm still having to manually connect to my network each time I start up or wake up from sleep. Unfortunately I have had this problem since upgrading to Apple's own Airport Express and then Airport Extreme (thinking the Express was faulty).

I never had this issue with my old D-Link router, and Apple support don't know how to resolve the issue either (I have deleted the keychain and deleted the network and started over etc).

I am now waiting for a tech guy from Apple to give me a call back to go thru a Hardware reset, or something similar sounding :S

5. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

My unibody mbp takes about 15 seconds to find my network. where as my windows xp bootcamp partition takes about 2 seconds. I think its a software issue. Hopefully its fixed on this next update. My white macbook prior only took a second to find the network aswell.

6. atheros07 macrumors member

I have a unibody MBP and it takes about 5 seconds to properly connect to a webpage from the time the screen turns back on.... not bad.

7. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

System Preferences -> Network -> Airport -> Advanced

Make sure that your preferred networks are at the top and have a broadcast SSID. Remove any networks you don't need anymore.

Hidden networks are especially slow because the networking stack has to go out and broadcast on each channel looking for the AP. For an "N" card that means checking not only 2.4ghz channels, but 5.4ghz channels as well.

For more information you can consult "Console" to see what the Airport card is doing all that time.

EDIT: I would say anything under 5 seconds is probably within normal tolerance, anything under 3 is excellent.

8. iCAR macrumors member

Thank you very much for that tip, that solved my slow internet connection.