Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doctoree

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
Secret lair/ Earthmiddlepoint
I plan to buy a 30inch ACD Display (once they are updated) for my Penryn MBP.
Will using such a huge resolution significantly slow down the machine?
(I know it will be very slow to run games, especially newer games in higher settings, but my question is related to standard operations like FCP, Photoshop)

Maybe someone with this setup could run a quick test for me:

Without external display: Open Photoshop and run the radial blur filter on a very high res pic, write down the time. And then repeat this process with the huge external display connected.

I assume the performance hit will exist but will be quite small.

As always, I have used Google's and McRumor's search prior to posting.

Doc

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
I didn't find any slowdown. I just couldn't bear the sudden and enormous increase in fan noise on the MBP.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I didn't find any slowdown. I just couldn't bear the sudden and enormous increase in fan noise on the MBP.

Out of interest - did you stack your MacBook Pro when the lid shut vertically (i.e. exhaust in the air, slot-drive facing down)?

I too noticed when I connected my MacBook Pro to my HDTV that it would like to make itself known in the room, so I closed the lid and stacked it vertically, and the fans slowed to idle, and there was a temperature drop too.

tardinha

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2007
i have a 17" 2.4ghz MBP and a 30" ACD...

there's no slowdown at all, and no extra fan noise.

no anything except a wide expance of loveliness!!!

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I don't have 30", but I don't see why there would be slowdowns. It's the GPU that's working. Also any slowdowns maybe display graphics such as games [at full resolution].

Powermax

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2006
Out of interest - did you stack your MacBook Pro when the lid shut vertically (i.e. exhaust in the air, slot-drive facing down)?

I too noticed when I connected my MacBook Pro to my HDTV that it would like to make itself known in the room, so I closed the lid and stacked it vertically, and the fans slowed to idle, and there was a temperature drop too.
Did you use a stand to stack it, and if - which?

Hydramus

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
I have a 15" 2.4GHz with the 30" ACD and notice no slow down at all. Also my fans stay at 2000 rpm so no noise either. I have my MPB open so I can use the other screen at the same time.

Agreed with the wide expanse of loveliness, once you go 30" you never go back!

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Did you use a stand to stack it, and if - which?

Something along the lines of this

balmudafloater.jpg

Scottyk9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
Canada
I had this setup for a while also.

I think there is extra demand on the GPU, so a little more heat is generated. I found using clamshell mode made the fans rev up to audible levels, but were not much of an issue when the notebook was open.

There might be a difference between the 17 and 15 (I had the 15) with respect to surface area to dissipate heat.

Edit: and to answer your original question, I found no appreciable slowdown even using extended desktop (splitting the VRAM between the ACD & MBP), although did not use graphic-intensive apps.

doctoree

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
Secret lair/ Earthmiddlepoint
Thanks for all your answers guy's!!

I will be using the display of my MBP additionally to the large 30inch. I don't pay that much for a machine and then not use it's screen and it's also good for your eye's if you change your focal point every once in a while (from one screen to another slightly behind it)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.