MBP Slowdown with 3GB Files, is this usual

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by khakilad, Jul 22, 2009.

1. khakilad macrumors member

Hey everyone,

just need a bit of feedback as have searched everywhere and can't find anything conclusive.

My Mid 09 3.06GHz, 500GB 7200 8Gb Ram, MBP seems to slow down considerable whilst I'm downloading multiple >4GB Files using Speed Download. It gets even worse when Archive Utility starts trying to unzip them onto the desktop. istat is reporting that the processor is idling and there is in excess of 5G ram left.

Has anyone seem this before? Is it a case of me asking too much at once for the Mac or is it the Hard drive which is seeing the slowdown.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

2. vanc macrumors 6502

Hard drive is the bottle neck. What you did was not CPU bound, but IO intensive.

3. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

It still shouldn't slow down that much though it's $2000 machine :mad:

4. dolphindolphin macrumors regular

Yeah definitely. If you were a hard drive, how would you feel if your user demanded you simultaneously write two or three 5gb files?

5. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Most people Just jump to that conclusion. The truth is, that the rest of the machine is where the cost comes from, and apple jacking up the price. Not because of The HDD. The HDD is quite obviously the bottleneck, It can't take that many I/O commands at once without a slowdown. With an SSD on the other hand, It would be much more efficient, and you are a lot less likely to witness a speed decrease.

6. thespazz macrumors 6502a

You're downloading two large files....and extracting another? Of course you're going to assault the hard drive. Give it a break man. Computers aren't super awesome machines.

My Quad Core PC with 4GB ram (Don't any of you even bring up that it's a Windows computer!) slows down when I'm extracting large files. (The most recent being a 7GB RAR.

7. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Idiocy.

A SSD is what the OP needs to open these files faster.

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

wow... (/facepalm)

(and you're not even being sarcastic...)

9. khakilad thread starter macrumors member

Hdd>ssd

Thanx for all your replies.
    I should have ordered the 256GB SSD drive....
    It came down to having 500Gb of Data, suppose I made the wrong decision ( Or perhaps I should just ask less of it)

Could this also have something to do with the 65,199 Page Outs I have had with a run time of 8h 10m?

Seems like an awful lot, even though I have 8Gb of Ram.

Thanks

10. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

haha I was :D I forgot sarcasm is hard to track on the internet SSD is great but so expensive right now ( I know intel just came out with new ones) but also the SSDs lose efficiency from rewriting itself over time. I'm not a newb :rolleyes:

11. m85476585 macrumors 65816

What are you doing that needs so much RAM? I have 6gb, but even with VMWare running I still have some free.

Is your hard drive nearly full? That can cause it to slow down since there is not enough contiguous space for new files.

12. khakilad thread starter macrumors member

13. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Is this your own video that you record, or are you just encoding video with Handbrake? If you are encoding video with Final Cut or whatever and need faster speed, you really should have bought a high end iMac or Mac Pro. If you are just encoding DVDs or video you've downloaded, get over it as you are going to have this problem regardless of the drive you own.

14. khakilad thread starter macrumors member

There my own videos that I'm encoding with Turbo HD.

15. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Then the limitation is not on the hard drive, but the processor.
    Only moving a file from one drive to another drive or copying a file on the same drive will be limited by the hard drive.

16. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Damn yo, I feel bad...at least try to use tags or something! :D

17. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

Nah it's cool I'll be sure to /s tag it next time, plus my joke wasn't that funny LOL