MBP slowing to a hault!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by seanevd, Jun 30, 2011.

1. seanevd macrumors newbie

I have this problem that I am not so sure how to fix...

It all started about a week ago when I came home and tried to do anything on my computer but it took minutes to even cue up a song on iTunes to start playing. So I had my fiance look up possible problems on her computer (I'm pretty new to Macs) and we found that deleting the cache files could solve the problem. It took me like 45 minutes but I finally was able to open my library folder and delete the cache file. And it worked, but only for so long.

Fast forward one week, I open the computer out of sleep mode and check my email, everything's fine, then I try playing some music on iTunes and my computer has the same symptoms (I'm ticked). It takes me about an hour and I manage to delete the cache folder again, but nothing happens... It's still slow. I get on my iPod touch and start searching for ways to solve the problem and I try various things, all taking large amounts of time to do, like organizing desktop items, removing various preference files that may be corrupt (I didn't remove all), removing unused widgets, deleting all cache files, and I repaired disk permissions. None of this seems to be the problem. I saw on a thread on this forum to try making a new account on the computer to see if the problem persists. I managed to make a new one and it works considerably better, but it still has problems.

I have a core 2 duo CPU
    4gb RAM
    50% of my 500GB HDD used
    3 year old Mac

As I write this thread, my new account seems to be getting worse. Can anyone help?

2. simsaladimbamba

If you can, backup as much data as you can, if it hasn't been backed up yet, it might be a failing HDD.
    If you can, try this:

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
    [​IMG]
    Further reading:
    ______________________________________________________​

3. seanevd thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I checked my processes and my CPU is 85% free. I sure hope it's not my HDD failing...