MBP sluggish w/snowleopard. Should I upgrade?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by dmaxdmax, Jul 20, 2011.

1. dmaxdmax macrumors 6502

dmaxdmax

I've got a late 2007 MBP - 2.4MHz core 2 duo - 2 gig RAM and lots of disk space. My performance with snow leopard is really frustrating with lots of spinning beach balls when simply switching from Mail to Safari or an open mail message or anything. I've fixed permissions etc but it's still slow and this is not new.

Is Lion more efficient and likely to smooth my performance or does it just require more resources and will make things worse?

Thanks!

2. Mitchelino macrumors 6502

I think I have the same MBP as you. Got mine October 2008. Mine is pretty sluggish with Snow Leopard. I've read that Lion will be around the same, but the apps are faster. Specifically Safari and iTunes.

It wouldn't hurt to upgrade, as it should be around the same, if not faster. I'll be upgrading once Lion finishes downloading.

3. dmaxdmax thread starter macrumors 6502

dmaxdmax

thanks for the fast response. If it's not too much trouble would you please post a quick report on you success? A simple thumbs up, sideways or down will do. At the moment I'm much more concerned with speed than I am with features.

Thanks again!

4. Mitchelino, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

Mitchelino macrumors 6502

I shall do my best to remember. As I have slow internet, the download wont be done until tomorrow morning. But I plan to have it installed within 24 hours. I'll let you know what I can tomorrow :)

Edit: here are two articles with users with Macs of similar age and hardware to ours. Might also help you: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1191472 and http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1191220.

Edit2: Installed Lion. Took me 60-70 minutes. The first 30 or so minutes it kept saying "33 minutes remaining," but the loading bar was making progress. So if this happens to you, just be patient and watch a movie or something. Spotlight seems faster. Firefox the same. Safari takes me a while to open, but that's not new for me. Nothing seems slower than with Snow Leopard.