MBP SMC boot problems?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bradm604, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Bradm604 macrumors newbie

Hello all, this is my first post here. I have spent a long time reading and can't find any help on my specific issue so thought i'd try a post. Computer is a Early 2008 MacBook Pro. After not using the computer for a few weeks I tried to turn it on but it would not power up. After resetting the SMC and trying a few other things there is only one way to make it boot. With the battery removed I need to hold down the power button for a few seconds, then connect the magsafe, then after a few more seconds let the button go. Then when I press it again it will boot. If i don't follow those steps it will not boot. I believe the post that suggested trying this said it bypasses the SMC or something? When it boots the fans run at full. I can then shut down and turn back on with one push of the power button. If the magsafe gets unplugged it will not boot again until i do the hold down power button then plug in magsafe trick.

I have windows 7 installed in boot camp and it will not load due to a major hardware change it says.

I have taken the computer completely apart to see if any sensors have become unplugged but didn't notice any.

Does anyone have any ideas of anything else I can try or do I need to take it in to a repair place?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

What is your battery health like? It almost sounds like the battery is bad and you are losing the SMC settings when off power.

3. Bradm604 thread starter macrumors newbie

Battery is completely dead. Before the problem started it worked a little but now the mac doesn't "see" the battery and won't charge it.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yeah... that's what is happening. When the battery is completely dead it loses the SMC settings.

5. Bradm604 thread starter macrumors newbie

resolved

Yup, you were right! I managed to get the battery to charge up by NOT turning on the computer, but rather just put the battery back in after I do the reset trick. Once it had power in it then it turned on normally without fans at full. Thanks for your help!