MBP (snow leopard) ----> MBA (tiger)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by davekr, Sep 1, 2011.

1. davekr, Sep 1, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2011

davekr macrumors member

in the near future I'll be transitioning from a MBP w/snow leopard to a MBA w/lion.

I have time machine backups of my MBP, will there be issues using migration assistant to move my user account over?

how should I transition my <user account> over without bringing all the old leopard previous OS files, preferences etc to get as clean as possible architecture?

what is the minimum tiger install space in terms of GB? I ask because I'd really like to not buy the 256GB SSD and stay under half of the 128GB SSD.

2. jdechko macrumors 68040

Assuming you mean Lion, instead of Tiger all you need to do is hook the drive up during your user account creation and tell the machine to migrate your files over from a time machine backup.

About 3/4 of the way down this page, it addresses your question.

From other threads on MacRumors, I think the base install comes with about 13-14GB used.

3. davekr thread starter macrumors member

thanks, I did mean lion, where'd I get tiger?!?

the link provided said to use "migration assistant"

is it smart enough to leave behind pref files that are snow leopard related?

any way to clean or clear the remnant files remaining from poorly deleted apps?

4. jdechko macrumors 68040

Using Migration Assistant depends on what state the new computer is in. If it's a first boot, the option to migrate files happens during the computer setup. If you've already got an account set up, then you'd need to use the migration assistant utility.

It's basically the same thing. Same process, just at a different point in time. The biggest difference is that if you want to keep the same user name, I'd suggest doing the restore during setup. Migration assistant won't restore an account to a computer where an account with the same name already exists.

For instance, if the user name on your old machine was 'jonathan' and you wanted to keep it, a restore during the first time setup would copy user 'jonathan' from the old TM backup to the new machine. However, if you elected not to restore from TM and created user 'jonathan' on your own, then when you went to use Migration Assistant, you would not be able to restore user 'jonathan' because the user already exists.

I've never actually used the migration assistant myself, but there are several options for what it brings over vs. what it leaves behind. You can always restore individual files from the TM backup after the fact.

Here's another good reference: TUAW.