MBP Sorely Dissapointed, Me or it ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ydna, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Ydna macrumors newbie

Ok, I have just joined MacRumours, because every time something doesn't work, when I search, posts from MacRumours came up, so I joined.

But why am I searching, I am searching because I have a Macbook Pro (7,1)that has become so unreliable, it is getting to the point I no longer trust it for my work and that because of an annoying spinning beach ball, which when that appears, the whole machine just freezes and I can do nothing to get out of it, or even save my work prior to turning it off for a reset.

So, just what is happening, is it the machine or my inability to use it ?

Now, I did read elsewhere that symptoms similar to mine others had reported by others, with further suggestion that there is a less than impressive performing chipset that Apple used in these machines and now no longer uses, but is this the problem I have, I just don't know.

Right now the MBP is sitting in the corner frozen again with a load of work on it that I can do nothing with except lose as the spinning beach ball is happily spinning away and I am using to type this my old vista disaster pc, which is more reliable despite the computer being somewhat battered.

This vistaster is the reason I migrated to Mac and as I have a learning disability, macs were supposed to be better for such users, which on the whole I did find it more intuitive, but no good if the thing doesn't work, so what do I do ?

No Genius Bar in my locale and no one to consult and should this be happening with such a new well looked after machine. The fault first started about six months ago and since has got worse, but I am clueless and very unhappy

What can I do regards the work I always lose and the problem itself ?

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Stange you're having such issues, could be one of many hardware faults, your best bet is to back everything up, contact apple and explain what's wrong with the machine, they can send a courier to you if an Apple Store or Apple Authorised Reseller isn't close by to you, you'd be without your machine for a few days, but they'd fix it all for you.

If you don't have a backup hard drive you can put the machine in Target Disk Mode (google how to for your machine) and connect it to your PC and transfer the data over, you'd need a HFS+ reader (easily downloadable) for your PC to read the Mac hard drive.

One other thing, please don't take this the wrong way, but I've known new/inexperienced users who see the spinning beach ball and panic, have you tried force quitting the app that's causing the freeze? Or is it a case of it beach balls at any random app? (If an app freezes, you can use Mission Control to select Finder which will allow you to then Force Quit the app via the Apple Logo)

3. Ydna, Feb 7, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2012

Ydna thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply,

So after nearly two hours of waiting, I have given up and must lose my work again, but trying to quit the application, quit doesnt work, neither does force quit, so my only option is to turn the thing off, which I know doesn't do good things for the registry and can only add yet more problems for the future, but it is the only way for now.

But a clue perhaps, this kind of problem appears to be happening the most when working online and in the past turning off airport and turning it back on again sometimes sorted the probem out, so I wonder. I did wonder about choice of browser and what they demand in resources, so changed from using firefox and safari to using chrome, everything was fine for a while, then the problems started again despite me clearing browsing data. I have also noticed the machine appears to be running hotter with more use of the internal fan. But other programs appear to have become corrupted, MS office and Adobe CS5, corrupted in that they freeze and collapse often with stuff my old pentium 2 could easily handle. So is it a resource issue, especially as when on the net, the report I get before a freeze up, is pages have become unresponsive with the option to wait or kill, which I can never do because of the old beach ball.

But, it is on to Apple I suppose and hopefully they can sort it out, but will they honour a request for a machine which I have had for eighteen months ?

See, with being brought up on pc's I have an idea what goes on with them when they go wrong and can usually sort them out, but this thing, I am clueless, it is as if it is alien.

But because of the problems I have with the MBP, I never keep anything on the machine other than the programs, all my images get saved to either the external drive or a dvd, despite the failure to verify error report, but the annoying thing is the work I am doing on the machine getting lost.

Oh and I have virus Barrier x6 installed, up to date and it declares nothing, so I don't suspect malicious attack, especially so as Mac's generally are not susceptible to it

Is there any maintenance I can do on this thing, defragging and disc clean ups ?

But thanks anyway for the advice.

4. briantology macrumors 6502

I wouldn't think the amount of memory you have installed is an issue, but if you open the application Activity Monitor and click the System Memory tab, you can see the distribution of utilized memory and how much is free. If you don't have much free memory, things will get quite slow and you'll see lots of the beach ball.

One reason this may be happening is that when you close the window of an application in OS X, it typically doesn't actually quit the application, but rather just closes that window. If you click the application name in the menu bar next to the :apple:, you can select "Quit ______", or alternatively use the keyboard shortcut command+Q. This will free up all the memory that application is using, which can often be quite a bit depending on the app (Photoshop, Firefox, etc.).

5. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Get rid of virus barrier, you don't need it and it could be the source of your issues.

6. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I have a 4 year old Macbook running Lion with 4 GB of RAM. Every now and then I get a "beach ball festival" going and it is usually related to running Chrome with 50 to 75 tabs open. I quit and restart Chrome and all is well again.

I do NOT use any virus software. It is a complete waste of time on OS X.

You mention defragging. An excellent tactic to "clean up" a misbehaving Mac is an "archive and install." I used to have to give my Windows boxes a "winema" every year or so. It meant digging for the CD, finding the key numbers, backing up my data, wiping the hard drive, installing all my applications all over again and restoring my data. It was a day and a half of no joy whatsoever.

The difference with an archive and install is you either insert an OS X DVD and pick "archive and install" or you boot to the Lion recovery partition and pick "install" (which I have HEARD by default is an archive and install). The entire process is unattended and can finish in under an hour. Needless to say backing everything up is a necessary precaution.

A "running" Time Machine backup is not sufficient as they can sometimes become corrupted, especially if you are backing up over the network. I would start a "fresh" Time Machine backup when upgrading or migrating so I could know for sure everything was there. I use Time Machine, CrashPlan and Carbon Copy Cloner for my backup solutions. I have had 2 occasions where the Time Machine backup failed to restore and I had to resort to CrashPlan to get my data back. I have used Carbon Copy Cloner to upgrade storage in my Macs with great success. I was able to "file clone" the boot drive so I got an almost exact bootable copy without temp files and clutter.

7. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

8. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

A quick Google of virus Barrier x6 (I was not familiar with this product) has pages of people who report it slowed their Macs to a crawl.

1) Uninstall it
    2) As noted above you don't need it

9. Ydna thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, some further information;

Last night after finally giving up and losing all my work again, I kicked off all my files be that images, video and word documents, which was no more than 1.5 gb as as a rule due to the instabilty I am experiencing nothing important stays on the machine so in theory the MBP should be running light and fast, which it did for a while giving me what has turned out to be a false sense of confidence in it, so off I went and carried on with my work only for the problem to happen again and this time the activity monitor was running and I could see it was not a demand of resources that was causing the problem as that thing was on the bottom two bars, but what was evident was the internet connection as I was working online again with one tab open in Chrome, the outgoing and incoming traffic had fallen to zero, so my internet was then suspect. So after blasting my provider, I checked the access with the vista pc, and lo and behold it flew along. So the problem is the MBP's internet connectivity, which would explain why turning airport off and on again sometimes cured the hang ups, but not lately, the process froze altogether with nothing that will work to force the process to quit and having researched kill processes, none of them work, the MBP is totally locked again with more work that will have to be lost, but at least I now know where the problem is, Airport, the MBP's internet connectivity, so onto Apple I think, as this fault it seems is being reported by others. As I take my MBP with me when I travel to friends places, and use their wireless, which the MBP connects to without a problem I have noticed the machine was unstable at their locations too, so it is not my connection, it is the Mac

Oh, as to the work I lose, it is just internet forum replies, much the same as I am doing here, surely a MBP is capable of that, but a clue perhaps, when I reply and insert a link to another website, the machine momentarily freezes, just for a second, but enough to notice and I have noticed.

But as to resources, I do need more RAM for the stuff I do offline, that will soon be sorted out when the internet issue is corrected. And regards the virus barrier, yes, maybe it will be kicked off later, but for now the internet issue concerns me most.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

For general performance issues: Performance Tips For Mac OS X
    You don't need any 3rd party antivirus app to keep your Mac malware-free. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 10 years ago. You cannot infect your Mac simply by visiting a website, unzipping a file, opening an email attachment or joining a network. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which cannot infect your Mac unless you actively install them, and they can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.
    You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Some remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process.

These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. Some of these apps delete caches, which can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt.

Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

You don't need to defrag on Mac OS X, except possibly when partitioning a drive.

About disk optimization with Mac OS X
    Check your DNS settings by reading: Why am I being redirected to other sites?