MBP Sound/Noise Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cornopaez, Sep 14, 2008.

1. cornopaez macrumors regular

cornopaez

So,

I got my new MBP a month or so ago and I'm having some issues with the sound. First, noise was being output through the headphone jack, no matter what kind of equipment I have plugged into it (headphones, speakers, Yamaha DSP.) The guys at Apple Phone Support where kind enough to "solve" the issue; at least the annoying clicking was no more... until I figured out that it basically just changed place. Now I'm getting an awful noise out the right speaker/headphone. I know, I've tried with several different equipment and the noise is still there. I mean, I'm getting better sound from my iPhone than from my MBP (WTF????:mad:)

So, any suggestions out there before I go to the Apple Store and get it exchanged for a brand new one?

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

There's a known noise issue with the analog portion of the headphone jack in the current Penryn MBPs. The circuit is poorly designed and you're hearing electrical noise that's picked up as interference. A new MBP will not make the issue go away, because you'll get the same logic board with the same inherent problem.

There's lots of discussions about this on various forums. Some users have bypassed this issue by outputting optically (via a mini-optical to Toslink cable) to an inexpensive external D/A converter or A/V receiver. Probably not the answer you want to hear, but it's the about the only way to get around it.

3. cornopaez thread starter macrumors regular

cornopaez

Well, it really doesn't give me hope for a fix anytime soon but at least I know what's going on.

Thanks much CaptainChunk

4. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

And here I thought R2D2 was living inside my mbp all this time...how disappointing to learn the truth :(