MBP sound - question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Daniel75, May 5, 2007.

1. Daniel75 macrumors member

My MBP is connected to the Cambridge Audio Amplifier. I noticed that when the sound level on my MBP is high the sound is terribly distorted. Is it normal?

(Hope it's clear:) English is not my first language:)

Thanks!

2. grum macrumors regular

You need to make sure the output from the Macbook Pro is not clipping the inputs on your amplifier. Is there an input level meter on your amplifier? And is there an input gain control?

3. Daniel75 thread starter macrumors member

Its very basic Amp - there is no input level meter or input gain control - its a Cambridge Audio A1mk3
    [​IMG]

So it is normal when the output sound is to "high" I will get a distorted sound though Amp?

4. TheJayWay macrumors member

Well, it depends on what normal is to you.

On many amps you can have your audio set to full so that the amp will get a strong enough signal to amplify cleanly. If your amp can't take the full signal then turn the sound down on your MBP and go from there. Your amp is probably clipping cause your throwing too much power at it.

5. Daniel75 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah - looks like thats exactly the issue I have - oh well - gotta live with it:) Thanks!

6. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

I have had this problem when plaing audio through Itunes through a MOTU 828. I discovered that the sound enhancer (preferences>playback) can cause distortion depending on you setup. Turn it off or turn it down.

Hope this helps.

7. grum macrumors regular

yeah just turn down the sound on the MBP and turn up the volume on the amp til you find the right balance. It is normal for it to distort if the signal is clipping the input on the amp