MBP Space Grey - small mark on lid

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cloudane, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Cloudane macrumors 68000

Cloudane

Just got a brand new MacBook Pro and spotted this little bright spot in the anodising. It's only tiny but just wondering if it's a normal imperfection or something I should be kicking a fuss up about. I haven't done it, it's how it came, and it doesn't clean off. It's not super obvious but it's certainly visible.

It's only tiny, maybe a little bit bigger than a typical speck of dust. Just worries me a bit if it's abnormal as, well, it's a brand new £1749 computer...

[​IMG]

The other complication is I bought it from Argos, not Apple themselves (nearest Apple Store is a 2 hour drive) and so I think I'd have more of a fight if it came to getting it replaced.

Do you think it's worth the obvious hassle and stress of complaining about it or should I just consider it a normal imperfection?

2. glhughes macrumors regular

I'd return it if it bothers you. In my decade of using Apple notebooks I don't think I've ever scratched or dented the case on a flat area like that, and I've accidentally dropped hard things like iPhones on my computers occasionally over the years. A little wear on the corners / edges seems to occur over time, but that is harder to see. My 2016 MBP actually came with a deep scratch on the back edge of the screen case but it's inconspicuous enough (and in a place I will likely get more scratches) that I chose to live with it. That said, I was pretty pissed when I first saw that out of the box.

Apple's QC isn't what it used to be and these things apparently slip through. If it bugs you then have it returned -- that's what the return policies (at least Apple's) are for.

3. Cloudane thread starter macrumors 68000

Cloudane

Argos != Apple unfortunately :)

Thanks for the feedback. However, I decided to just keep it. It's really really splitting hairs bigtime (can barely see it), and as someone said in a similar thread - I'd be expecting a huge eyeroll at best from customer services!
    Apple themselves probably would've swapped it out no questions asked but it'd have been 100 miles there and 100 miles back to find out (would be hugely annoying if it's a no) and either way that's what I get for using a high street retailer... they tend to be really picky about accepting returns even for faulty things never mind near-microscopic cosmetic issues.

More annoyed now that I forgot about a certain tip regarding easy access to a student ID card which could have saved me 10% on the education site. If I were to really push my luck I could try to return this for a refund because of the mark and then re-buy from Apple direct with the discount. But again, this is Argos, not Apple, and for all the stress and hassle (and being a bit cheeky calling myself a "student" just for signing up for a free online course) I think I'll just deal with my mistakes and decisions and enjoy the shiny new Macbook.