mbp spacebar already showing wear?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andrew086, Jun 8, 2010.

1. andrew086 macrumors regular

I have an MBP which is less than a month old. I know that eventually the spacebar will get shiny because of being hit in the same spot repeatedly, but why is this already an issue if I just got it? Is it possible to replace it (I'm planning on getting a moshi ClearGuard)? Or could I clean this somehow?

2. Ann P macrumors 68020

No matter how careful you are, it is the oil from your hands.

3. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

this is likely form the oil on your hands, not from wear. I have seen both worn and oily keyboards, and they look similar. THe only difference between the two is that you can clean the oily spots with a cloth dampened with rubbing alcohol. This may retexture the keys to be like normal if it is, in fact worn, but I cannot make any guarantees. I can only advise you to wipe the keyboard with a cloth dampened with rubbing alcohol. I am not responsible if you oversaturate the cloth and the alcohol seeps into the keyboard.

4. andrew086 thread starter macrumors regular

I tried that already but it didn't work... I'll try again though.

I assume that it is possible to replace, since I found the keys online and they offer the spacebar.

5. celticpride678

It has been known that the spacebar on Mac notebooks "wear out" easily, but this is most likely oil from your hands.

Apple won't be replacing it.

6. Moocher macrumors regular

It's just getting smoothed out, man. Relax. The smooth areas are the best. Try to even out your use of the spacebar so the whole thing gets smooth. It'll give you something to do.

Mooch

7. blackwind macrumors regular

Do us a favour, next time when you use ur MBP please look at the pic below

This is the very first step before you lean your finger on those MBP
    [​IMG]

8. EstrlM3 macrumors 6502

9. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

After my first Macbook in 2006, I have been using these keyboard covers from iSkin. http://www.iskin.com/store/i2shop_kbrd_air.tpl

My last two Macbooks where never once typed on without the cover. It takes a little getting used to at first (layer of plastic over keys = odd at first), but now I feel so wrong typing on a Macbook that doesn't have a cover.

I know many on these forums prefer Moshi keyguards because they are ultrathin; but I prefer the iSkin because it cover s the entire recessed keyboard area on the Mac, meaning hair/dust can't get under the keys, and you should be pretty well protected from minor spills.

I made the mistake of buying a zCover instead of an iSkin one year-- BIG MISTAKE! go either with iSkin or Moshi.

10. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

Just live with it. It gets worse if you keep looking at it. I have a Moshi ClearGuard on mine, but I got that before I started using the keyboard. It's bound to happen sooner or later anyways. Do you look at your keyboard when you type?

11. turugara macrumors regular

Get the External Keyboard from Apple. Problems solved :rolleyes:

12. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Slightly off topic: I noticed that my trackpad was beginning to show some normal wear as well but I received a Magic Mouse for my birthday last week and have been using it with great joy...adding Better Touch Tool made it even better...I haven't used my track since...I do use an external 23" Samsung with wireless keyboard when at home so my keyboard and trackpad will not show much wear as my MBP ages but now with the Magic Mouse (and BTT) I get all the great MultiTouch gestures without putting wear and tear on the trackpad...:)