MBP speaker suggestions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mikepro44, Jun 8, 2008.

1. mikepro44 macrumors member

What would you recommend speaker wise for my MBP when it is pretty much docked at home? I want to find something that can work with my PC as well so I can switch over when I'm not using my MBP

2. sagew macrumors member

What price range and how big a room do you need to fill?

Harman Kardon Sound Stick II's are very natural with little distortion for the money and they look nice.

Logitech Z series are nice as well, not quite as "pure" as the harman set.

I used to like Klipsch, but have found they are muddy in comparison with other sets. (Drivers are not as tight, but do provide more midbass)

Also, I have an old Monsoon set that is hybrid flat panel membrane(planar)/ small cone driver and the sound is amazing imho. It was an upgrade with an old Dell tower I have.

As for compatibility, it should work with either computer as long as it is an analog (headphone jack) set.

Hope this helps,
    Eric

3. mikepro44 thread starter macrumors member

yah i was leaning towards the sound sticks II, do you think they are the best for the price?

4. sagew macrumors member

They are excellent (Great for natural sound, not bass heavy) for a small room. If you have a large space check out the logitech's

5. mikepro44 thread starter macrumors member

hmm might need to look for logitech set ups then, any suggestions? haha

6. sagew macrumors member

The z-5500 series are some of the most highly regarded if you need something for a large space.

Exactly how big a room are we talking? Do you live in the U.S.? If you can get to a Best Buy you can actually demo the Harman's and they have at least one Z series set up for demo as well.

What is your budget?

Eric

7. sagew macrumors member

8. mikepro44 thread starter macrumors member

Im from Canada, 10' by 40' room, budget is around $200

9. sagew macrumors member

Given the strange (very long and shallow) nature of the room, I would say a 2.1 setup would be better than going the 5.1 route.

Those logitech z-2300's fit the bill very well, and at under $100 shipped stateside you couldn't do much better.

As for a canadian retailer that will have them, try futureshop (since best buy carries the model and futureshop is a child company of theirs) or NCIX has them for ~120 CAD

NCIX z-2300

Hope this helps...must sleep soon so I can catch the keynote in the morning