MBP Speakers Clicking?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by polycat33, Nov 21, 2007.

1. polycat33 macrumors 6502

My MBP speakers have started to make a clicking sound when they haven't been used for a while and then a sound needs to be played, right before the sound comes out.

My MBP is one of the ones that makes that staticky noise over the headphones. And sometimes after no sound has come out for a while the static sound goes away, as if the sound part of my computer is sleeping while it doesn't have to emit any sound, then the static comes back when a sound needs to be made again - and the click on my speakers comes right when the static noise would come back - as if my speakers just woke up from sleep (even though my computer is still awake).

It's a pretty loud click and kinda annoying, is this a known issue and is there an easy fix?

2. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

do you mean the little tap noise that comes after or before sounds? yea i have it to and its especially noticeable on headphones. Supposedly an update way back when fixed it but i guess not.

3. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

I know exactly what sound you are talking about. It happens on my brand new MacBook (santa rosa). It is exactly as you describe. It's like the sound card is hibernating when inactive for a while. Then, when it is called upon to make a system sound, it starts with a loud click.

It is extremely annoying, but I assume that the sound circuitry actually is going into a low-power mode when not in use for a while.

4. polycat33 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm sure that's the case about the sound card sleeping, but I don't want to just accept it since it never did this before. I've had this computer since June and it's only been clicking for the past week or so. It seems something has changed. The only thing that I've done is I installed 10.4.11... could that update cause it? Anyone else notice this with that update? If it's the update that would make me feel better because it means the next update could fix it. Though I'd love to hear if someone has a solution now!

5. ProMod macrumors 6502a

Same problem here. Used to do it under 10.4.9, 10.4.10 seemed to fix it, now it does it again under 10.4.11. Also continued to do it under 10.5.1, which I removed and went back to Tiger because of the host of other issues with MBPs and Leopard.

6. polycat33 thread starter macrumors 6502

Is there a place to mention stuff like this to apple for their next update, or do they just magically find out some issues and fix those?