MBP Specs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PowerBook-G5, Apr 13, 2014.

1. PowerBook-G5 macrumors 65816

PowerBook-G5

I have a BASE Mid-2012 MBP and would like to know about the graphics in the system. I am asking this because I came across a screenshot of the About this Mac window from Mountain Lion, which showed that the MacBook had Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB. Now when I look in About this Mac, it says that I have Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB. Which is correct for the BASE MID-2012 MacBook Pro? And could anyone possibly give me a clue as to what caused this change? The only thing that I have done to the laptop between Mountain Lion and Mavericks is upgrade the RAM from 4 to 16 GB, but that wouldn't cause this, right? Thank you in advance.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You have two things going on there. When you bumped the RAM, that would have allowed VRAM to now use 768. Then Mavericks bumped it up to 1024. Totally normal.

3. PowerBook-G5 thread starter macrumors 65816

PowerBook-G5

Ok, so this is not a glitch of the software, you believe?

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

No. It's been a well documented fact since 2011 that if you add RAM to a MBP with integrated graphics, the amount of RAM dedicated to the integrated card rises.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Not a glitch at all. Like snaky69 mentioned, adding system RAM bumps of the graphics RAM used, then after that Mavericks also bumped up the amount used. You are in good shape. :)

6. Laco macrumors 6502

Yes like everyone else said this is not a glitch. It happened to me too, I have the same computer. It is well known.