MBP SR Fan Operation

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nukey, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Nukey macrumors member

Hey Guys,

I was installing some stuff today and the temperature, as reported by smcfancontrol, went up to around 60-62 degrees (C). Now I have the minimum fan speed set to around 2780 rpm and noticed that the fans did not increase in speed at all (above 2780). Is this normal? At what temperatures do the fans increase speed? I can't seem to find this "threshold" info.

Thanks!

2. polycat33 macrumors 6502

I can't quite figure it out myself. Sometimes I'll be doing nothing big at all, the temp is low, and the fans will kick in for a few minutes. Sometimes it'll go kinda up there and the fans won't kick in. I was doing some Photoshop stuff the other day along with Word, Firefox, and Mail and such and got my temps up into the 70's, the fans for sure kicked in then and didn't stop until the temp came back down into the 60's (which didn't happen until I was done with Photoshop and quit it).

I used SMC Fan Control for like 10 minutes but felt like it was increasing the fan speed needlessly so I uninstalled. My computer stays pretty cool most of the time so I don't need it spinning up the fans all the time unless it's actually getting hot. However I have read that with the fans at full speed all the time the bottom actually gets COLD, but don't care to test this, and don't need it to be cold. :p

3. Hobbit6003 macrumors member

My MBP's fans will only increase its speed from the minimum, only after 75 degrees celcius.

4. alexeismertin macrumors regular

alexeismertin

try this

I had some very similar instances of fans ramping up/not ramping up fairly randomly. A few days ago my fans hit about 3700rpm with a temp of 57C (cpu A) just running Safari & itunes, the next day I did some Photoshop stuff with itunes running - hit 78C and fans remained at 2000rpm. So I reset the SMC (shutting down + removing battery + powering on for 5 sec), after a restart the fans shot right up to 6000rpm (no apps running) the temps showed in the 50's. Finally I installed Applejack & ran that, reset NVRAM & now everything is back to normal.

The fans are a bit of an anomaly, and thats why I have SMCfancontrol installed (but not running) just in case I need it. I wish i didn't have to 'tinker' with MBP as it reminds of my PC days.

5. Nukey thread starter macrumors member

Wow weird stuff. I wish there was a page somewhere stating that at X degrees the fans will ramp up to X rpm so that we could verify if things are working properly.

6. martinmartin macrumors 6502

SMC Not Working?

My fans do not resume 'normal' speed after I quit SMC.

For example, if my fans are running at 2000, then I open SMC (which is set at 3500), the fans will ramp up to 3500. Then, when I quit SMC after a few minutes, the fans remain at 3500 and don't slow back down.

I believe this is a new issue. Previously, the fans went back to normal speeds after quitting SMC.

Any ideas? Thanks.

7. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

vicious7

The fans typically spin beyond the normal speed when the Memory Controller's temperature goes up.