Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

renault4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
My MacBook Pro (15" 2.4Ghz SR, 4Gb) freezes when connected to a VGA projector, doesn't matter whether the DVI-VGA adapter is connected to cable first or last. Boot time while connected to the projector is also inordinately long. I have seen this happen a number of times specifically with other Santa Rosa MBPs in a number of different locations.

I haven't called Apple yet on this (though I posted this i Apple forum with no bites) and I suspect it will require a firmware update to fix; is this a known issue (and is it known to apple?)

sorry if this has already been covered...

thanks

--p

joshuachay

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2006
Kuala Lumpur
I have the exact same problem and I noticed it since the very first day. I have connected mine to a couple of projectors in college and home, and all made my MBP crash instantly (mouse is stuck, basically everything is stuck) and I have to do a hard reset.

Sadly, I have yet to find an explanation or a solution :(

DeepShadows

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2007
The order according to apple for connecting a projector is this:
Turn on projector, plug the vga cable into the dvi-vga cable while its not in the macbook pro... then connect whole converted cable into macbook pro while it is on. I haven't had any problems doing that... ?

joshuachay

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2006
Kuala Lumpur
Thats what I have been doing. My MBP crashes the moment its connected to the cable. It has consistently been happening every time I connect. It definitely gets irritating, especially when you have a bunch of Windows users with their laptops looking at you. Never had this problem with my Powerbook G4 :confused:

DeepShadows

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2007
what are your display settings? what kind of projector is it? What is the resolution of the projector?

amusiccale

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
What has been foolproof for me has been to close the lid, connect everything and then bring it back out of sleep. I had a few freezes connecting things live, and this seems to have solved my issues, at the expense of a little inconvenience.

nboy1397

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2012
Works!!!

What has been foolproof for me has been to close the lid, connect everything and then bring it back out of sleep. I had a few freezes connecting things live, and this seems to have solved my issues, at the expense of a little inconvenience.

I just got a 13.3" MacBook Pro in July 2012 (Late 2012 Model) and I got a VGA adapter, bu when I connect it to my computer, it freezes it...I get the Rainbow "Beach Ball" :p ... But I just shut my computer, opened it back up and BOOM...It works! I have been looking for this forever and I'm going to need it for school... Thank you soo much!!! :D

Brsswat

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2013
I just got a 13.3" MacBook Pro in July 2012 (Late 2012 Model) and I got a VGA adapter, bu when I connect it to my computer, it freezes it...I get the Rainbow "Beach Ball" :p ... But I just shut my computer, opened it back up and BOOM...It works! I have been looking for this forever and I'm going to need it for school... Thank you soo much!!! :D

Sometimes it works for me but now it doesn't works ever. When I connect the cable, the MBP freezes, then I close it and when I open it again it shows a grey screen on the MBP. I don't even know why but the TV founds signal and when I close the MBP it doesn't sleep showing me the login screen again, it is only frozen and I have to force shut down every time :\

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.