MBP SR or Refurb MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by panzer06, Jun 23, 2007.

1. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I am trying to decide whether to buy one of these refurbs:

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    15.4-inch glossy widescreen display
    1GB memory
    120GB hard drive
    6x SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 128MB of GDDR3 memory
    Built-in iSight camera
    Original price: $1,999.00
    Your price: $1,599.00

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    15.4-inch widescreen display
    2GB memory
    120GB hard drive
    6x SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 256MB of GDDR3 memory
    Built-in iSight camera
    Original price: $2,499.00
    Your price: $1,999.00

Or a new SR MBP @ $1799 or $2299 with student discount..?

I have two nagging issues.

1.) I enjoy games and would like to play Windows games; Company of Heroes, AOEIII, LOTR BFME II, C&C3 and need to know if wither MBP with 128MB of video RAM should/could be considered.

2.) Will I regret not getting the nvidia 8600M for $200-$300 more?

I’ve thought about waiting until SR refurbs are available, 90-120 days from now and have considered selling my PB G4 1.25 1GB ram 120GB HD and MB CD 2GB Ram 60GB HD to raise cash but hate to give up perfectly good Macs. Maybe I’ll just sell the PB.

Other than the games, the MB CD works fine with all my work apps, parallels with XP (a few works apps are windows only) but I am sick of having to use my big old Windows tower to play my games.

Should I sell and save to get the SR MBP or go with the lower cost 2.16 or 2.33 MBP?

Your thoughts and ideas are appreciated.

2. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

I think based upon the games that are out that your graphics card won't make a difference. I'd go for the low end SR mbp personally.

3. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Go with the SR mbp. The 2.33 for 1999 should be out of the question for you anyways, because it's essentially older technology for the same price as new technology. The SR mbp takes the cake because it is only $200 more than the refurb 2.16, and with it, you can get $200 off of a Nano and a new printer. These things put together mean that the refurb isn't the deal it's cracked up to be.

4. w8ing4intelmacs macrumors 6502a

That is, until the SR MBP refurbs start showing up at $1599.
    :)

Admittedly, the back to school special is a great deal though.

5. panzer06 thread starter macrumors 68030

panzer06

If the 128MB card can use shared RAM (at slower speed) to make up for the limited dedicated ram I am sold on the SR!!

Thank you everyone for the great advise.

Cheers,

6. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

Just wondering, do you have the hi-def screen?

7. GanleyBurger macrumors regular

GanleyBurger

Am I in the dark?:cool: What is this "High Def" option I'm hearing about? I only see two choices... Glossy or Matte.

8. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

Oh my bad. I forgot we're talking about 15 inchers here. There's a high-def screen option for the 17" MBP

9. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

IMO the only thing cooler about the SR is the LED display.

10. GanleyBurger macrumors regular

GanleyBurger

What is the new 17" lacking over the 15"? Is there a post about it?

11. mikehokie macrumors regular

So you don't like the fact you can dual channel with 4GB of RAM? The processor is faster with the FS bus of 800 Mhz and bumped up speeds to 2.2 Ghz and 2.4 Ghz respectively? And the video card is updated as well?

12. panzer06 thread starter macrumors 68030

panzer06

The only thing really lacking on the HD 17 inch is the LED display. If that was available I might save a bit longer and fo for that. (I'd have to sell all my stuff just to get close to having enough) However, I've read the 17 inch LED panels are a 2008 possibility and I can't wait that long.

Cheers,

13. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

I would sell the PB G4 and the MB CD even if you can afford the SR MBP. Why would you need 3 laptops? If you're not using them, sell them now as they will only lose value as time goes on. With the extra cash, you can get a monitor, external hds, ram and upgrade to the 2.4 SR MBP if you need more power.
    Also the student deal will probably be better than the refurb, since you do get $250 worth of goods (ipod + printer) and 10% off. Plus it'd be a brand new machine w/ a prettier box :cool: .

14. panzer06 thread starter macrumors 68030

panzer06

Good point!! The PB G4 has been sitting around for over almost 7 months. I keeping thinking at some point I wil convince my brilliant, highly intelligent wife to get rid of the Dell laptop and use one of these Macs. So far its a no go, so perhaps a quick laptop liquidation is in order.

Thanks for the suggestion (I'd forgotten about the printer/ipod deals)

Cheers,

15. panzer06 thread starter macrumors 68030

panzer06

Now, that is just the proof I was looking for. I searched nVidia's website and found a reference to the use of system memory by the 8600 series as a "last resort". Don't quite understand the "last resort" comment in the tech doc but assume the system ram is either slower or gaining access to it is somehow slower. (I'm sure some bright chap here will explain)

In either case, I assume you are very pleased as it looks like you are running Vista bootcamp and games with no issues. I almost have my credit card out...

Cheers,