MBP-SR- swapping hard drive, way to keep itunes library and iphoto library?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by harlequin29, Nov 28, 2009.

1. harlequin29 macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm new to this forum... heard it was the best! :D:D:D

I just purchased a Western Digital Scorpio Blue 640GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    to replace my stock 120GB HD. I am really excited to have the extra space.

I purchased this MBP a few months ago and would like to do a fresh install of Leopard.

I have an external hard drive that I have not used yet and was wondering of the best way to install Leopard on the hard drive and then add my itunes library and iphoto library to the fresh 640gb hard drive.

thanks in advance!

P.s.
    I just did a Xbench test for my current setup with 2gb RAM and 120gb HD and scored a 110 overall.

What kind of score do you imagine I will have once I upgrade the hard drive and bump the Ram to 4GB

2. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

Process is fairly easy.

1. Copy your iTunes folder to your external hard drive. But before you do this, be sure to update your iTunes to the latest.
    2. Fresh install the OS to your new HDD.
    3. Update all your software including iTunes. And ope up your iTunes once then close it. This will create the folder.
    4. Copy over all the contents from your external HDD (all the files and folder under the iTunes directory) to your new iTunes directory. iTunes will not let you over write the parent iTunes directory so just copy the content.
    5. Start up your iTunes and authorize the computer.

Be sure to unauthorize your existing computer before swapping it out

3. harlequin29 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was able to swap the itunes over. I am having difficulty transferring my Iphoto library. I transfered the application Iphoto, but I do not know how to get my photos from my external (on external HD) to iphoto.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!