Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jimmi1321

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2010
ITALY FVG
For those in hurry go directly to short story...

-----long story i want to share with mac users-------------
After owning many computers i approached macs buying last generation of 15' powerboks and found my best user experience.

Then i made the mistake of buying an Imac24. It's another great machine but i found out that i'm one of those who like to have all in one computer, less problems you don't need to install the same apps in two places or sync itunes etc.
So after reading Waiting for arrandale thread i'm here wainting the delivery of a glossy HiRes 8gb ram MBP '15 i5 2,4ghz.
I spend a lot of free time using computers so i want it to be the best experience possible and according to many here SSD is the way to go.

At work i use mac for small office task, some mails, some documents. Some light data analysis with keynote. Sometimes i make some graphics/flyers using pages and photoshop elements and once a month i edit a keynote.

At home i use it to relax watching dvds ans movies + a lot of internet (20-30 safari tabs opened together, listen some music and sometime edit photos with lightroom. On the Imac i have a bootcamp partition that i use to play, i'm not an hardcore gamer anymore but i frequented flightsim community IL2 and recently played with Batman Arkam Asylum and MassEffect1.

-----------------------------------------end of long story----------

In short i would like to use the MBP as my only personal computer for small office work, internet, and entertainment fitting it with an SSD to have it super snappy.

This mean
1)buying a 400€ intel g2 160gb SSD and try to cope with few space and an external firewire 500gb lacie little disk.

2)buying a 600€ crucial 256gb SSF c300 having more space (and using less external drive) but risking as i feel the crucial less reliable than intel.

3)Stick with 500gb 7200HD till the release of bigger intel SSD (hopefully end of the year)

I decided not to go with Apple SSD as i fear Samsung controller to lose performance over time and with the disk almost full...
Also I'm not ready to use an optybay solution as i still use DVD a lot. (IMHO due to many companies resistance digital delivery is not yet ready here in italy)

But i worry that managing solution 1 would be worst than splitting files on more macs... Do you think i can fit my Itunes library + the 32gb Iphone backup + lightroom library (not the raws) + some apps + 50gb bootcamp partition in 160gb?

So in the end what would you suggest to me? Any other "big" size SSD i should consider. Any other ideas on how managing space?

Ty in advance

gianly1985

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
Try to use only 160gb of the stock 500gb HDD for a couple of days, if you can do it then buy the Intel G2 160gb. Otherwise, wait for a 300gb Intel G3 due for fall 2010. (that will probably cost as much as the current 160gb model)

Jimmi1321

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2010
ITALY FVG
TY GIANLY nice idea.

Ok let's say i go SSD

Now which is the best backup strategy?

Backup the SSD at work by timecapsule
+
plan backups at home with superduper (so 2 have 2 different backups in 2 diferent places)

but how to backup the external hd with media data?

Can timemachine backup also external HD?

-------------
to gain a few Gb i could also buy a 32Gb SD card. Is it reliable???

chikit

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2009
I think you should stick with your 500GB 7200RPM.

Wait for Intel SSD to come out with cheaper, larger capacities.

Next year replace your HDD with SSD and put your HDD in to a portable enclosure with firewire 800 support. Transferring via firewire + 7200RPM is awesome.

Save your money!

gianly1985

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
but how to backup the external hd with media data?

Can timemachine backup also external HD?
Yes, you just need to manually include it. (external drives are excluded by default)
-------------
to gain a few Gb i could also buy a 32Gb SD card. Is it reliable???
I don't know about reliability (guess it depends on the brand) but it would be slow.
But I guess you could use it for storage, just don't write constantly on it.

Backup the SSD at work by timecapsule
+
plan backups at home with superduper (so 2 have 2 different backups in 2 diferent places)

I'm not an expert of off-site backups but I heard you could also achieve it by using a RAID 1 enclosure (like WD My Book Studio II) and use it with 3 drives, so every now and again you can swap a drive and take it offsite. (the enclosure will take care of rebuilding the raid 1 every time)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.