MBP SSD concerns. Slower then expected speed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by klinic, Sep 20, 2011.

1. klinic macrumors member

I just bought the Sata II OWC SSD and it feels a bit faster. Hasn't exactly blown me away though, and peak speeds seem to be about 69mbps in the activity monitor. Is there anything I am meant to do from within OSX to cater for an SSD? I know about switching to AHCI on a Windows box... But I'm not sure if I can even do anything like that in osx.

Also, is there a decent benchmark out there that is very easy to cleanly remove once I've finished using it?

2. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Afaik not.
    What SSD do you have exactly?
    Sandforce with compressed data often just doesn't reach all that high speeds. Especially in writing and if you measure when unarchiving or copy form the SSD to the SSD (read&write) you won't end up with all that great speeds. Try it on a HDD that is still way slower.

3. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

I use the AJA tool to benchmark, but there's also one through the app store(I'm on my iphone and dot remember the name of it, I want to say it's just "disk speed test" but not really sure). Both are easy to uninstall after you use them, but they're both small apps so leaving them isn't a huge deal.