MBP, SSD, External HD AND Time Machine?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MikeSantor, Nov 12, 2009.

1. MikeSantor macrumors regular

So I bought a used Blackbook a few months ago as my first mac to give it a try. To say the least Im loving OS X. I tried using Time Machine but it kept giving me errors. I had about 400GB worth of movies and music but that was it at the time so I didnt feel like messing with TM. I figured after I got the hang of OS X and started putting important stuff on my MB I would figure out time machine.

Well my buddy calls me yesterday and he is supposed to be leaving for europe in 3 weeks and barley has any cashed saved. He offers me his new 09 MBP that he bought a few months ago from Apple in Chicago. So I traded him my blackbook and 600 bucks for his MPB (i payed 400 for my blackbook, so i made out on this deal...)

Here are my plans. Is it possible to...

80GB Intel SSD inside MBP to house OS and a few programs I need when I travel or when im out.

External WD 1TB HD with all my Pictures, Movies, Music ect.

Then another External HD (havnt decided what brand to use) HD to use as Time Machine?

Basically I wasn't sure if time capsule would work on the external HD. Im ASSUMING it would because the time capsule dosnt know if the WD hard drive is an external drive or just a slaved drive in a tower. So im assuming it has to work. I mean Apple had to make TM usable for Computers with 2 HDs?

I just wanted an opinion on this. Since Im still only a few months into OS X after 10+ years on a PC im still in a huge learning phase. Any help, suggestions or compliments would be much appreciated. Thanks!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Do you mean Time Machine and not Time Capsule? A TC is a piece of hardware from Apple AFAIK. Time Machine can be used on an external hard drive. It's just a function within OSX Leopard/Snow Leopard that offers a backup option for your mac.

3. MikeSantor thread starter macrumors regular

:eek:

Yes, I did mean Time Machine. Thanks.