MBP SSD+HDD Optical Drive Removal Upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Slrunna, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Slrunna macrumors newbie

Hi All,

So I am looking to upgrade my MBP Mid 2010 6.1. I am reasonably tech savvy but I am just looking for someone who knows more than I about the process I should follow. Not specifics but more of an order of proceedings. I have read a lot but it is difficult to understand what to do in my instance from varying tutorials.

To explain I am upgrading from 500gb HD running on Mountain Lion . I have en route a 240gb SSD and the OWC data doubler as well as 8GB RAM. I am looking to install the new RAM, remove the optical drive, install the SSD and data doubler in its place, clean install mavericks from USB to the SSD, put all apps onto SSD, erase HD take back to the freshest it can be and put all of my personal files onto it.

I know it is a broad request but I wanted to know the best process and order of steps to follow.

Thanks in advance it is most appreciated.

2. themumu macrumors 6502a

themumu

It's pretty much as you described yourself. Take the cover off and go ahead. RAM should be the easiest part, followed by the hard drive to SSD replacement, followed by optical drive swap.

You can follow the instructions for the optical drive swap here:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2010+Dual+Hard+Drive/8520

Make sure you have a good quality #0 and/or #00 Phillips or JIS screwdriver and a T6 Torx. The ifixit guide goes through battery removal procedure, but to be honest, I would skip that part and only unplug the ribbon cables.

3. Slrunna thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply.
    So I am thinking the process should be as follows:-
    - Back up using Time machine and SuperDuper to an external HD
    - Make a copy of all my files onto different External HD and note down all Apps that I should then re-download once this process is complete if possible? If not possible to re-download copy the relevant application folder to the External HD.
    - Install the RAM
    - Create a USB bootable Mavericks
    - Erase the current Mac HDD
    - Begin the process of removing the optical drive and putting the SSD in its place.
    - Boot from the USB into Mavericks and install onto the SSD
    - Format the Mac HDD
    - Re-install any apps that I can re download and get others from the the External HD to the SSD
    - Copy over my personal files (Music, Docs, Videos etc.) to the Mac HDD.
    - Put Optical drive into new USB2 enclosure.
    - Enjoy the upgrade (hopefully)

Does this sound about right?:confused:

4. themumu macrumors 6502a

themumu

Sort of. If you are creating the bootable USB stick with the same computer, I'd do it before installing new RAM. There is no need to open the case more than once for this whole thing, it's 10 tiny screws and it's very boring to screw/unscrew them all the time ;)