MBP SSD no longer *ridiculously* overpriced?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lshirase, Feb 24, 2011.

1. lshirase macrumors regular

I notice that its $540 to upgrade to a 256GB SSD....this isn't bad!...is it? I know the samsung 256GB's are around 500 dollars flat. Is there a better deal out there for a 256gb? im considering *for the first time ever* upgrading to SSD through apple....am i insane? from what i understand, some SSD's are faster than others, but in normal use most will experience very little difference in speed..

2. TheHoff macrumors 6502

If you were getting Applecare anyway, one big benefit is that your SSD would also be covered.

3. lshirase thread starter macrumors regular

Absolutely, i completely forgot about the warranty factor.

To simplify my question, is it a bad idea to upgrade to SSD via apple? or is there little price difference (aftermarket vs through apple). i am willing to pay a $40-50 dollar premium to have full warranty and have it pre-installed by apple...

4. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

There's no warranty benefit with Apple.

A superior Sandforce-based SSD from OWC costs $520 for 240GB and includes a 3 yr warranty, without the extra cost of AppleCare.

Faster, cheaper, better warranty than Apple. I'm failing to see any benefit of Apple SSD.

5. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

Cheapest 256GB SSD I found on newegg was $490 so I guess $540 isn't too bad. They get to keep your old drive though whereas if you replace it you can keep it as a spare for what have you. You'll have to choose what would give you the most benefit, the warranty or the extra drive.

6. nsdjoe macrumors member

Plus you can either sell the Apple HDD or put it in an enclosure.

The SSDs have certainly gotten more reasonable with the new update, but you're generally still better off buying an SSD separately and popping it in.

7. TheHoff macrumors 6502

I also run a Sandforce OWC so I agree, but you do have the warranty all under one roof from Apple. I'd still get the aftermarket.

8. lshirase thread starter macrumors regular

I appreciate everyone's response.

Are there any particular 2XXGB SSD's that are highly regarded on this forum? Also, i heard that mbp's have a "sleep issue" with some SSDs? what is this about? should i be concerned?

9. YoYoMa macrumors 6502

Which SSD does apple use? Whats it cost on new egg?

10. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

I agree that getting a third party SSD is a better deal but remember AppleCare includes the whole computer and not just the guarantee of the BTO SSD. Its also more convenient for those who do not want to be hassled to take out the SSD to mail to the manufacturer if it breaks. The question is now what is the performance of Apple's SSD offering compared to, let say, OWC is offering.

11. dwhynman macrumors regular

The 512 SSD is the best deal from apple since you can't find a SSD with that capacity for that price.