MBP SSD upgrade queries...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by peanutismint, Dec 13, 2010.

1. peanutismint macrumors 6502

peanutismint

I'm thinking of getting an SSD for my Macbook Pro (unibody, late 2009), but don't feel comfortable only carrying 60/120GB around with me! :)

I've searched around and found that it's possible to install your old SATA drive in a caddy in place of your optical drive - I've struggled long and hard with the idea of completely removing my optical drive but I think if I got an external enclosure for it I could probably make do (would rather be out somewhere and not be able to burn a CD than lose my 500GB of internal storage!)

So with all that to think about - does anybody have any preferred methods/arrangements? What size SSD would you go for? If I'm going to keep my 500GB drive in I'd probably go for a 60GB SSD for the OS/apps. Is there an external USB enclosure I can buy that will accept my SuperDrive? Or would I be better off buying a completely new/faster drive? Am I likely to see that great of a performance increase? And what will adding a second hard drive likely do to my battery consumption? Not that I typically use my MBP on battery in a day-to-day scenario.....

I have many questions! :) Apologies if they've already been answered.... Looking forwards to hearing some opinions!!

2. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

Ordering mine right now ;)

I have a OWC 120GB SSD and am in love with it. I'm buying the MCE or Maxupgrades optibays. Both come with USB external enclosure for your optical drive ($89 for maxupgrades, $99 for MCE).

I'm then buying a 640GB 5400RPM WD HDD or the 500GB 7200RPM WD HDD. 5400rpm is $79 and the 7200rpm is $69 due to the sizes.

3. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint

Cool! Yeah I've seen that those Optibays come with a 'free' enclosure, but they're a LOT more expensive than ones I've seen on ebay (which are like £10 each?!), and besides, I'm not sure if I'll stick with my superdrive when I can get a better/faster external dvd writer with blu-ray for around £50...

SSD-wise, I was tempted to go for a 120GB when I thought that would be my only internal storage, but if I'm going to install my 500GB SATA as well, I can surely make do with a much smaller SSD for OS/apps? Say, 60 or even 40GB??

4. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't personally go any smaller than 60GB... 40GB is freaking tiny.

I'm doing the 640GB Western Digital HDD as my secondary drive, with 120GB SSD.

I don't want/need 7200RPM as my secondary. I want this baby to run as silent as possible haha.