Mbp Ssd

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jvlog, Nov 16, 2008.

1. jvlog macrumors member

after a bit of researching i am having trouble finding exactly what the specs off the SSD available in he new macbook pros
    particularly MLC or SLC max read and write and average read and write.
    any other info would be good too.

2. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Apple doesn't say, but based on the speed it appears to be a Samsung SLC drive. It's faster than a Seagate 320GB 7200rpm drive I tried.

3. Osprey macrumors 6502

I am confused about the advantages of the Solid State Hard Drive other than the fact that it won't wear out or at least not as fast. I run Photoshop CS4 and do video editing and was concerned about buying the 128 SSD. Some seem to say that it starts faster (this makes sense), reads faster but no performance gain in writing. Also I was concerned about the size of the hard drive with the software that I would be running. Thanks for any answers and for helping me understand the real advantages of the SSD.:confused:

4. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Write speed is also slightly faster depending on the MLC or SLC based flash memory.

MLC, multi-layered cells are faster then 7200RPM drives by quite a bit when it comes to read. I use a MLC SSD drive. However, when it comes to writing stuff, it can, and depending on what/how you use it, be slower then a 4200RPM. On average, the MLC is capable of writing and reading faster then a 7200RPM. On multi-tasking, writing tends to be slower then 7200RPM drives but reading seems not to be effected as much.

SLC, single-layered cells, these drives are FAST both read and write. It'll blow any laptop internal hard drive on the market. However, the price tag is a shocker. SLC runs about $2500+ for a 128GB while a MLC is ~$250+

5. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I don't think the price difference is that dramatic. The Samsung SSD is SLC, but it doesn't cost that much.

Additionally, the SLC drives are about as fast on write as a 7200rpm drive but they don't blow them away. They will blow them away on random reads, but not writes. For a good comparison on SSDs, see the link below:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/flash-ssd-hard-drive,2000.html

6. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

I thought they used the Memoright SLC SSD, but I may be wrong

7. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Samsung doesn't have 128GB SSD SLC based drives yet... or if they do, I couldn't find any in a 1 second google search.

Comparing SLC and MLC for 128GB SSD, the price different is pretty major. Theres a 128GB SSD, MLC based on newegg for $278 last time I checked. A 64GB Samsung SLC is going for $500/600 on eBay.

Edit: Samsung has created 128GB SSD, but they are MLC not SLC.

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/...gId=1000017&newsId=20080106005126&newsLang=en