MBP: standard vs high-res display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ultra AleM, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Ultra AleM macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

Hello guys. I was wondering what's better. I mean, with the standard one you get a glossy display but the colors are better and the text and stuff is normally sized so your eyes do not get messed up.

At the same time with the high res you get no reflections but some worse colors and a resolution that I think is too high for a 15" laptop. Everything becomes so small it's hard to read.

What do you think?

2. fs454 macrumors 65816

I think that 1440x900 is far too low for a professional machine, and the colors are more accurate on the matte display. If you're doing any color sensitive work, the high res antiglare is the way to go.

Go higher res and the UI gets out of your way, you can make text bigger in browsers and most apps easily if you feel that the text is too small.

3. Ultra AleM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

Is a Retina display better than the high res one?

4. fs454 macrumors 65816

Absolutely. First and foremost it's an IPS display which means better viewing angles and far better color accuracy. It's insanely clear and versatile. It's 2880x1800 and comes set at a scaling that has the same text size as the 1440x900 display, and if you need more real estate, you can bump it up all the way to 2880x1800 unscaled and anywhere in between. Reflections and stuff are far better than the glossy classic MBP display and there's no gap in between the glass and the LCD panel underneath, so it looks as if content is right there, instead of looking like you're looking through glass and a screen door before seeing your content.

The high res antiglare is still a great display, though. I'd have it if I couldn't swing for a Retina.

5. xdxdaustin macrumors regular

I absolutly love my Retina. It is the best screen I use all day and afterwards, everything else simply pales in comparison. When I look at the previous generations they appear so washed out and over saturated compaires to my Retina. Go for the Retina display and you surely will not be disappointed.