MBP stereo audio out not working properly..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by officetally, Jan 16, 2012.

1. officetally macrumors newbie

So my MBP outputs audio via the audio jack, but not in the way that I want it to.. whenever I perform test tracks with my headphones, speakers, etc. hooked up, both the left channel and right channel audio are thrown together; i.e. parts that are only supposed to play through the left channel are played by both channels, and parts that are only supposed to play through the right channel are also played through both channels. I can't isolate one from the other. Is there a stereo setting somewhere that I am missing? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

2. officetally thread starter macrumors newbie

3. bill-p macrumors 65816

What are you using to play back audio? iTunes? Or something else? Or is it just a general thing that any system sound goes through both channels?

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I can only think that either you have a faulty jack on your headphones, or that the original source was recorded or ripped in mono. Seems unlikely....It's possible the socket itself is to blame.

5. officetally thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried iTunes, Vox, and even youtube. (Also, I am certain that the song I'm using has stereo audio that utilizes each speaker separately.) I've also tried a pair of desk speakers and a pair of nice headphones. I just bought this Macbook pro about a month ago as well.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It sounds like the jack inside. Can you get it to a genius bar to check it out?

7. jeremyshaw macrumors 6502

I had TRS jacks that cut out on one channel first, after a while. If the speakers on your laptop sound stereo, then you can be reasonably assured it's not simply a software configuration issue.