MBP stolen, need advice on new ones

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NikkiJayne, Dec 19, 2013.

1. NikkiJayne, Dec 19, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013

NikkiJayne macrumors regular

NikkiJayne

So two days ago my mid 2012 retina MBP (cheapest model at the time) was stolen. I've set it all up to wipe if they connect it to the internet, but I don't hold out much hope for it to be recovered.

Now I believe it cost £1,800 when I bought it, and my insurance policy is new for old. I can't put a claim in until January so I thought I'd ask for advice here first.

Since the new retinas have been upgraded and changed, I see that I can't get the exact same specs. I can upgrade the cheaper 15 inch retina to 2.3GHz (matching my original one) and then it will almost be the same. But I've also noticed that the cheaper one only comes with integrated graphics and no dedicated card. Now I do like to play the occasional game on my Mac and do photo editing and watch films. What difference will the retina with the sole graphics card make? Will it be a noticeable difference from the one I had? Because of course, I don't want to end up with a laptop that was worse than the one I had stolen!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm sorry to hear about the theft :(

Generally speaking I think the low end rMBP is a solid machine that will fulfill most of your needs, I'm not sure about gaming/video editing since I do not play games or edit video - sorry :(

3. jondunford macrumors 6502

jondunford

for gaming the iris pro on the new one is around the same as the 650m on the old model